Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Gets Patches For HDMI Stereoscopic 3D Output

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nouveau Gets Patches For HDMI Stereoscopic 3D Output

    Phoronix: Nouveau Gets Patches For HDMI Stereoscopic 3D Output

    Nouveau continues advancing on the display front: beyond getting DP MST and atomic mode-setting support in the Linux 4.10 kernel, there are now patches available for wiring this open-source NVIDIA Linux driver up to supporting stereoscopic 3D output via HDMI...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...HDMI-Stereo-3D

  • #2
    Adds support for 3D TV. No more 3D TVs have been announced for this year...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
      Adds support for 3D TV. No more 3D TVs have been announced for this year...
      Yeah, my heart sank a bit when I heard that a few days back, especially considering I've been working on something similar on the AMD side. But I figured I might as well see it through, so I posted what I have so far on dri-devel.

      Comment


      • #4
        Never understood the craze over 3D and probably never will. What purpose does watching the news in 3D serve?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
          Adds support for 3D TV. No more 3D TVs have been announced for this year...
          The 3D hype were replaced for something more usable, like 4K and others

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

            The 3D hype were replaced for something more usable, like 4K and others
            Some would tell you that you can't even see the difference with 4k.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Never understood the craze over 3D and probably never will. What purpose does watching the news in 3D serve?
              As it was easy to see with 3D movies, 3D tech is an answer waiting for the question.

              None even bothered to create a good reason to actually have 3D in movies. At most they were throwing shit at you on-screen, just to show how cool is 3D, but the movie could have worked 1000% fine even without the 10 seconds of those scenes.

              And this snowballs to far-less-budget media streams like TV channels. Hell, ist's 2017 AD and most of the world is still watching TV channels in 720p (with rather crappy encoding too).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                As it was easy to see with 3D movies, 3D tech is an answer waiting for the question.

                None even bothered to create a good reason to actually have 3D in movies. At most they were throwing shit at you on-screen, just to show how cool is 3D, but the movie could have worked 1000% fine even without the 10 seconds of those scenes.

                And this snowballs to far-less-budget media streams like TV channels. Hell, ist's 2017 AD and most of the world is still watching TV channels in 720p (with rather crappy encoding too).
                So true. I can't possibly agree any more. For me it's even worse because the 3D encoding, to my eyes just looks like two frames displayed at once with them being slightly off center from one another. It doesn't look 3 dimensional at all, just fucked up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  Never understood the craze over 3D and probably never will. What purpose does watching the news in 3D serve?
                  Just some notes:

                  - Stereoscopic 3D is nice for watching movies and playing games (e.g: Tomb Raider on Windows)

                  - With today's relatively very large TV screens, the absence of 4K seems to be a more serious issue than the absence of stereoscopic 3D

                  - Despite that today 4K is more important, I would never buy a TV without stereoscopic 3D

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

                    Some would tell you that you can't even see the difference with 4k.
                    Some would tell you that people that believe that are full of shit. For real though, 4K is a hell of an improvement.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X