A Look At The Long TODO List Of Nouveau: Reclocking, More OpenGL, Video Accel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Seriously, why do splurge on a Nvidia GPU if you don't care about 3D performance?
    How about you actually read what you reply to? How does my "I care a lot more X" translate in your mind into "I don't care Y"?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

How about you actually read what you reply to? How does my "I care a lot more X" translate in your mind into "I don't care Y"?
      It doesn't. But if your priority isn't 3D performance and you're using Linux, it still doesn't make sense to go with Nvidia (much less complain about it on Phoronix).

Comment

It doesn't. But if your priority isn't 3D performance and you're using Linux, it still doesn't make sense to go with Nvidia (much less complain about it on Phoronix).
        Several years ago Nvidia was the only one with video hardware acceleration that had good deinterlace method that could be applied to 1080i video. Back then it was typical that on some channels that especially sports was sent in 1080i. Nowadays the programs are sent as 1080p, so there isn't even need to do deinterlace anymore. I actually don't know if any other hardware still does deinterlace on GPU when decoding video, but what I'm talking about was back when Fermi was a fairly new thing. I don't think there is much reason anymore to buy Nvidia except gaming performance or CUDA.

I was just thinking here, not really saying why some particular person would choose one brand of graphics cards over another.
        Last edited by Tomin; 17 January 2017, 10:05 AM.

Comment

More bogus biased shit. Flash news: if it was a "priority" I'd use the proprietary driver, like almost every other nvidia user. More flash news: not every Linux user jerks off to every Stallman quote.

Comment

Keep in mind that many ion-based systems were ideal as htpcs that did media consumption and playback of recorded video and were sold paired with atom-level CPUs that didn't have quality builtin Intel video.

With that perspective, video acceleration could be the most important aspect of some ion systems. I don't own one, but I very strongly considered it when building my htps a few years back

Comment

More bogus biased shit. Flash news: if it was a "priority" I'd use the proprietary driver, like almost every other nvidia user. More flash news: not every Linux user jerks off to every Stallman quote.
              Wow, hold your horses. I haven't had an AMD GPU in years and I have no problem using Nvidia's blob. So the association with RMS is a bit offensive.
              That aside, I still don't see what's your beef with Nouveau (and why you brought it on Phoronix instead of complaining in the right place).

Comment

Wow, hold your horses. I haven't had an AMD GPU in years and I have no problem using Nvidia's blob. So the association with RMS is a bit offensive.
                That aside, I still don't see what's your beef with Nouveau (and why you brought it on Phoronix instead of complaining in the right place).
                1. Mentioning RMS is offensive only to open source SJWs.
                2. I'm not complaining nor have a beef with nouveau, your shitty logic continues amazing me.

Comment

1. Mentioning RMS is offensive only to open source SJWs.
                  To be fair to him, that is a line that you have crossed. Richard Stallman is irrelevant to this discussion. Why would you even bring him up, let alone insult the man unless you have a bone to pick?

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post
                    To be fair to him, that is a line that you have crossed. Richard Stallman is irrelevant to this discussion. Why would you even bring him up, let alone insult the man unless you have a bone to pick?
                    No kidding Sherlock

Comment

Working...
                    X