Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source Nouveau Linux 4.10 + NvBoost vs. NVIDIA Proprietary Linux Driver Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Nouveau Linux 4.10 + NvBoost vs. NVIDIA Proprietary Linux Driver Performance

Phoronix: Open-Source Nouveau Linux 4.10 + NvBoost vs. NVIDIA Proprietary Linux Driver Performance

Earlier this week I posted some benchmarks showing the open-source NVIDIA (Nouveau) driver performance on Linux 4.10 with the new NvBoost capability for finally being able to hit the "boost" clock frequencies with Kepler graphics cards when using this reverse-engineered driver. While the manual re-clocking and enabling NvBoost is able to increase the Nouveau driver's performance, how do these results compare to using the closed-source NVIDIA Linux driver? These benchmarks answer that question.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did it render correctly?

I have seen a few problems where games wouldn't render correctly in the OSS drivers on Intel and nVidia hardware. Universe Sandbox 2 on Intel is very easy to reproduce. It's fast, but won't render correctly on intel or nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
      Did it render correctly?

I have seen a few problems where games wouldn't render correctly in the OSS drivers on Intel and nVidia hardware. Universe Sandbox 2 on Intel is very easy to reproduce. It's fast, but won't render correctly on intel or nouveau.
      Did you file a bug with a trace? If you don't tell anyone, very unlikely to get fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
        Did it render correctly?

Everything I noticed rendered fine. The only game recently where I recall Nouveau issues was Metro LL Redux and that was the game hanging IIRC.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I have a 760 and I wondered why your frame rates were so much lower, then I saw that you ran these at 4k, lol. This is good news as these games look like they get playable frame rates at 1080.

Comment

First, congratulations to nouveau developers, it's amazing how far you have gone.

Soon phoronix will be able to benchmark nouveau vs radeonSI again, like in 2012~2014

Comment

I hate nvidia, I really do. My current card will be my last nvidia card.

Comment

The performance of the last generation cards is decidedly abismal... while the older cards are ok. This just goes to show why noone that wants open source support should bother spending money on a new card from Nvidia...

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                  The performance of the last generation cards is decidedly abismal... while the older cards are ok. This just goes to show why noone that wants open source support should bother spending money on a new card from Nvidia...
                  Agreed, or support them in any way.

Comment

In the meantime, hackers are breaking into social media, doing troll posts, instead of stealing nvidia driver code and making it public.

Comment

Working...
                    X