Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial NVIDIA GP102 Support In Nouveau DRM

Phoronix: Initial NVIDIA GP102 Support In Nouveau DRM

Ben Skeggs of Red Hat has added initial support for the GP102 Pascal GPU to the Nouveau DRM driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

there is actually reclocking support for maxwell, just the second generation is annoying due to the signed PMU firmware, but it works, it ain't user friendly (for now)

Comment

- Is the reclocking support available now in either kernel 4.8 or 4.9? - Will it work for a GTX 960M in an Optimus laptop? (the typical Optimus with Intel primary, NVIDIA dedicated with no outputs wired to it) - Is there anything required to try out reclocking? (is the reclocking support bought only by the kernel? or would I also need an updated xf86-nouveau package?) - Should I expect "good" things if reclocking were to work on my GPU? (no idea how it is in the gen before Maxwell, but my general understanding is that nouveau is pretty usable for games if 3D accel and reclocking exist; more specifically, I'd like to try some games with Gallium Nine in Wine)

Comment

Yikes, should have previewed that before submitting There's 4 questions in that mess above.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
          Yikes, should have previewed that before submitting There's 4 questions in that mess above.
          Eh, the short answer is still: it's technically there, but not in any way an end user can actually use it.

Comment

- Is the reclocking support available now in either kernel 4.8 or 4.9?
            no, but 4.10
            - Will it work for a GTX 960M in an Optimus laptop? (the typical Optimus with Intel primary, NVIDIA dedicated with no outputs wired to it)
            yes
            - Is there anything required to try out reclocking? (is the reclocking support bought only by the kernel? or would I also need an updated xf86-nouveau package?)
            no, just the kernel
            - Should I expect "good" things if reclocking were to work on my GPU? (no idea how it is in the gen before Maxwell, but my general understanding is that nouveau is pretty usable for games if 3D accel and reclocking exist; more specifically, I'd like to try some games with Gallium Nine in Wine)
            well, Maxwell has kind of bad perf (good enough with reclocking though, still significantly slower), because mesa does some not so smart things, but samuel is working on that and a future mesa release will bring good enough performance.

Comment

it's really nonsensical to sponsor most linux-hostile vendor with $1000

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
                well, Maxwell has kind of bad perf (good enough with reclocking though, still significantly slower), because mesa does some not so smart things, but samuel is working on that and a future mesa release will bring good enough performance.
                Thanks for answering! Does the Mesa note only really affect Maxwell, or is it just a general thing with either NVIDIA cards across the board or all GPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  it's really nonsensical to sponsor most linux-hostile vendor with $1000
                  Not more than thinking you're in a position to tell people how they should spend their own money.

Comment

Thanks for answering! Does the Mesa note only really affect Maxwell, or is it just a general thing with either NVIDIA cards across the board or all GPUs?
                    mainly maxwell, performance on previous chipsets is good enough, there are of course serious performance issues in some work loads, but generaly usable

Comment

Working...
                    X