X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by cruelj View Post
    Could somebody please explain to me, how people still have money/time/motivation to work on nouveau, while NVIDIA obviously doesn't wan't an opensource driver.
    I think i already answered it - it is reverse engineering desire who is driving this, those people know and like to do exactly that .

And even if you give them specs, they are not interested anymore... as that would became boring everyday job

Leave a comment:

• cruelj
    replied
    Could somebody please explain to me, how people still have money/time/motivation to work on nouveau, while NVIDIA obviously doesn't wan't an opensource driver.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Well i know, people like nouveau because they learn there how reing going.

If even nVidia give you specs, those people would not be excited with that... they would probably go to reing something else

Leave a comment:

• karolherbst
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Basically opensource drivers are not copy/paste clones from proprietary - there would be always some gap here and there
    sure, and for nouveau also no documentation, which makes it not boring actually AMD and Intel stuff is boring, because you already know everything

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    for desktop if people wants to use opensource driver amd is the only alternative for gaming, no point in spending so much money and use opensource nvidia driver, the lack of dynamic clock is big problem for performance and lifetime of a card who always use the maximum freqs. For AMD is about time to give up from non free driver and put all resources in opensource driver like intel (one driver), when they reach the parity of features, opengl 4.5 vulkan vdpau/vaapi and enduro

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Basically opensource drivers are not copy/paste clones from proprietary - there would be always some gap here and there

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Ehvis View Post
    A bit of both. The 680 is much better, but in some tests it still drops quite a lot. I suppose there's still a lot of optimisation to do.
    OK, so i get question right then - optimizations yes of course as always

Opensource drivers were always different, you don't get exactly what you get with proprietary drivers... that is also the case on AMD hardware, but there diff in some cases is much less visible nowdays. Like for example here where Dota 2 is optimized fine, we can't say the same for Talos

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And if you change hardware and use APUs for example then story can be entirely different further - there mesa probably does not beat nothing

Leave a comment:

• Ehvis
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Ah OK, i tought Ehvis asked for remaining gap even on that GTX 680 regardless it is reclocked.
    A bit of both. The 680 is much better, but in some tests it still drops quite a lot. I suppose there's still a lot of optimisation to do.

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
    cant believe it.

not that running AMD gpus on linux is without hassle but Nvidias perspective on OS is straight heinous
    I've been running Linux exclusively for almost 15 years. And for all that time NVidia has provided fast and working drivers. I have a hard time calling that "heinous".

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Like for example in Dota 2 case, even if GTX 680 is in best shape and considered fine... that still has half perf in comparison to propertiary driver.

That is how i understood that question

Leave a comment:

• AdamOne
    replied
    cant believe it.

not that running AMD gpus on linux is without hassle but Nvidias perspective on OS is straight heinous

Leave a comment:

Working...
X