Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Linux 4.8 + Mesa 12.1-dev vs. NVIDIA OpenGL Performance

Phoronix: Nouveau Linux 4.8 + Mesa 12.1-dev vs. NVIDIA OpenGL Performance

It's been a while since last delivering any open-source NVIDIA (Nouveau) Gallium3D driver benchmarks but for your viewing pleasure this Friday are some fresh Kepler and Maxwell test results for this reverse-engineered NVIDIA Linux driver code against the proprietary NVIDIA driver in various OpenGL test cases.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nouveau dont have reliable future, nvidia dont have any interest in help

And when Nouveau can be usable, nvidia go ahead 2 cards generations as occur actually

Maybe can dedicate efforts in other tasks maybe help amd or intel

Comment

I don't understand why Nvidia doesn't offer (aside closed) open power management to the Linux kernel. Imagine to buy an Intel Cpu that you cannot use turbo boost on Linux and then Intel tells you to figure it out your self. Nvidia should be ashamed.

Comment

it is a little sad that the nouveau updates weren't ready to be pushed to drm-next and won't land in 4.9 :/ There are some ideas though to make it much easier for users to patch a stock kernel and get updated drm/nouveau to play with. Maybe we get something ready soon.

Comment

It is not nothing, at least once card result looks usable.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
            it is a little sad that the nouveau updates weren't ready to be pushed to drm-next and won't land in 4.9 :/ There are some ideas though to make it much easier for users to patch a stock kernel and get updated drm/nouveau to play with. Maybe we get something ready soon.
            Sounds good! Still, considering the benchmarks, it seems like a long way to go. With other words: There's still a lot of potencial!

Comment

Wish AMD cards were competitive with nvidia on proprietary driver. The highend AMD cards still run like ass.

Comment

What I don't understand is how this reclocking factors into all this. If I understand correctly, then the "0F" setting means forcing the highest clock. In theory this means that it should have the highest performance. Yet, if this is the case, then there is still a massive gap to the proprietary driver that has nothing to do with reclocking.

Is there a proper explanation for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Ehvis View Post
                  What I don't understand is how this reclocking factors into all this. If I understand correctly, then the "0F" setting means forcing the highest clock. In theory this means that it should have the highest performance. Yet, if this is the case, then there is still a massive gap to the proprietary driver that has nothing to do with reclocking.

karolherbst can probably explain the best, but without the boost patches (now for Linux 4.10) the 'boost' clock frequencies aren't reached for newer cards. I think there also might be cases where vRAM re-clocking isn't done or not to the highest state, but Karol can probably say whether that's still an issue or not.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ehvis View Post
                    Shorter explination might be... that something is bound you know and that need to be optimized

Comment

Working...
                    X