Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Developer Posts Secure Boot Refactoring For Nouveau

Phoronix: NVIDIA Developer Posts Secure Boot Refactoring For Nouveau

It's not as important as NVIDIA publishing new signed firmware images, but then again it's not every day we see NVIDIA developers contribute to the open-source Nouveau driver stack. Nevertheless, today a new set of patches were published for the Nouveau DRM driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will nouveau work in a competitive manner once reclocking arrives on Maxwell? Specifically, I have a 960M; can I expect to be able to play something like Guild Wars 2 through Wine with Gallium Nine once reclocking arrives?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
      Will nouveau work in a competitive manner once reclocking arrives on Maxwell? Specifically, I have a 960M; can I expect to be able to play something like Guild Wars 2 through Wine with Gallium Nine once reclocking arrives?
      it isn't as good as with kepler, but near enough. We will try to work on improving performance more now that we have OepnGL 4.5 support. Also with working maxwell1 reclocking support (GM107 and GM108) we care a little more about maxwell.

By the way, your 960M is a GM107, so with the next nouveau release, you can reclock your GPU (hopefully) if nothing bad happens otherwise. There are still some outstanding vbios issues, though.

Comment

karolherbst the "near" factor might be attributed to nvidia "hacks" that improve performance? The same way that radeon SI doesn't achieve the same performance of a profiled game on catalyst/closed-source amd driver?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
          karolherbst the "near" factor might be attributed to nvidia "hacks" that improve performance? The same way that radeon SI doesn't achieve the same performance of a profiled game on catalyst/closed-source amd driver?
          With near i meant compared to nouveau kepler

Comment

Now that I have a RX 480 & MESA and love it -- let me grab 3 more for my home Linux PC's to replace nvidia cards and some Popcorn - on a long enough timeline we'll see if Nvidia decides to make a blob that will finally not auto-destruct via HDMI-1 or actually begins to care about a open driver.

I can't imagine having HDMI problems on a Steam Machine when the only connection is HDMI. I mean I spent $800 on my old Nvidia GPU and it had tons of issues.

Throw down a mere $200-300 for AMD for the first time in 10? years and it's rock solid and performs well enough (90FPS, 120FPS, 360 FPS) on everything I want it to.

Comment

Now that I'm on a RX 480 & MESA and love it -- let me grab 3 more for my home Linux PC's to replace nvidia cards and some Popcorn - on a long enough timeline we'll see if Nvidia decides to make a blob that will finally not auto-destruct via HDMI-1 or actually begins to care about a open driver.

I can't imagine having HDMI-1 problems on a Steam Machine when the only connection is HDMI. I mean I spent $800 on my old Nvidia GPU and it had tons of issues.

Throw down a mere $250-300 for AMD for the first time in 10? years and it's rock solid and performs well enough (90FPS, 120FPS, 360 FPS) on everything I want it to.

Comment

You know the fu<king annoying thing about the comment filter is that the comments don't come out until the discussion is dead and archived if ever!

vBulletin can suck the bottom of my refrigerator.

Comment

Fucking workaround - http://pastebin.com/2XnfwTHc

Comment

A bit offtopic, but is there any way to have full range RGB over HDMI with nouveau? I wanted to switch completely to nouveau few days ago to only find out that apparently no way to switch away from limited range.

Comment

Working...
                    X