Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coder
    replied
    Just another vote in favor of this feature. I have a windowless case and don't want lights shining out the cracks. I spent longer than I'd care to on wrapping the light pipe for the blue power LED.

I was worried, when my new GFX card's edge logo lit up (I didn't know it had that feature), but fortunately I've not seen any light leakage from it.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    It shines out the back because the card doesn't perfectly shut out light from the inside. This tiny light can light up the entire room when the other lights are turned off, and mean I have to turn it off as a server when I have guests using the room where it is standing.
    I feel your pain. I had to use paper or black tape to tone down or keep "shut off" BRIGHT leds on other devices too. After I had disassembled them to get at the leds of course.
    It of course voids warranty if you break some sigils of purity or something.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Why do you have a case with a window, if the lights annoy you?
    It shines out the back because the card doesn't perfectly shut out light from the inside. This tiny light can light up the entire room when the other lights are turned off, and mean I have to turn it off as a server when I have guests using the room where it is standing.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Neat. Consider that if I can place a cam or a mic in the room to see/hear that I can probably also plant more powerful things too, like 3G remote-control keyloggers or whatever.
    if you have access to the machine you own it

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post
    if you can control the blinking of a light that you can see from a target computer, you can exfil data - think morse code (albeit slowly).
    There was a nice proof of concept recently that used the sound of a spinning rust hard drive to exfil data past an airgap. The attackers were able to control the firmware in the hdd to make the access sounds what they wanted. was slow but possible
    There was also the ultrasonic exfil concept a while back that used ultrasonic noise from a speaker and some funky underwater sound algorithms.
    Neat. Consider that if I can place a cam or a mic in the room to see/hear that I can probably also plant more powerful things too, like 3G remote-control keyloggers or whatever.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    wat? compromised in what way? because the GPU light flickers or changes intensity?

if you can control the blinking of a light that you can see from a target computer, you can exfil data - think morse code (albeit slowly).
    There was a nice proof of concept recently that used the sound of a spinning rust hard drive to exfil data past an airgap. The attackers were able to control the firmware in the hdd to make the access sounds what they wanted. was slow but possible
    There was also the ultrasonic exfil concept a while back that used ultrasonic noise from a speaker and some funky underwater sound algorithms.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post
    sweet as - another way to exfil data from a compromised linux geek!
    wat? compromised in what way? because the GPU light flickers or changes intensity?

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    This is just the beginning. Now someone will find a way to use this led as fps indicator or GPU load or temp or whatever.
    Oh, that'd be easy... any of those numbers should fit an 8-bit value, so you can just flicker the light on or off for each bit. Any geek who cares about such things should be able to decode a binary sequence on the fly, right?

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    This is just the beginning. Now someone will find a way to use this led as fps indicator or GPU load or temp or whatever.

THE WORLD WILL NOT BE THE SAME AGAIN.
    sweet as - another way to exfil data from a compromised linux geek!

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    I have a normal GFX970 and it also has annoying lights on it that changes sometimes. Can this driver or another turn the shit off?
    Why do you have a case with a window, if the lights annoy you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X