Nouveau Open-Source NVIDIA Tests On Linux 4.8, Mesa 12.1-dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

That is just your POV, as maybe you can go to AMD site and tell us what you see as recommended there? I see only amdgpu-pro and catalyst for linux there, same as if i go to nVidia site i see only nvidia drivers So as you see they both *officialy* recommend blobs

But if you don't go around and visit their sites, you only have opensource drivers in kernel of course. So it is linux kernel that recommends amdgpu/radeon/nouveau drivers, but not blobs of course, those are just out of tree potentional recommendation, etc...
    I'm not a fool, all of us know full well that nvidia only supports their proprietary driver and that amd recommends the oss driver for desktop end users.

Comment

That is just your POV, as maybe you can go to AMD site and tell us what you see as recommended there? I see only amdgpu-pro and catalyst for linux there, same as if i go to nVidia site i see only nvidia drivers So as you see they both *officialy* recommend blobs

But if you don't go around and visit their sites, you only have opensource drivers in kernel of course. So it is linux kernel that recommends amdgpu/radeon/nouveau drivers, but not blobs of course, those are just out of tree potentional recommendation, etc...
      This is no different from Windows. We provide in-box drivers that ship with the Windows install image, and we also offer drivers from amd.com which include additional features that MS may not want to include in a stock OS image. Both are equally official; the in-box drivers just happen to be upstream and open source in the Linux case.

If you are saying that we should set up in competition with the various third-party repo packagers and offer our own open-source-based overlay packages for released distros that's reasonable and probably something we should do eventually, it just seems that there are more important things for us to be doing right now.
      Test signature

Comment

Actaully the situation is actually no different from Windows. We provide in-box drivers that ship as part of the Windows OS install (at least we used to, not sure about Win10), and we offer drivers on amd.com with additional features that MS did not want to include in the OS install image.

In the Linux case the drivers are open source + upstream because that's how the Linux ecosystem works.

If you are saying that we should set up in competition with oibaf et al and offer our own open-source-based overlay packages for released distros that is reasonable and probably something we should do eventually, but doesn't seem like the best use of our time right now.
        Test signature

Comment

All my posts are disappearing (not moderated, just don't appear). Problem seems to happen when replying to a comment that is not on last page of thread.

Will wait a while to see if they re-appear.
          Test signature

Comment

I didn't said anywhere that you are a fool . On one hand you have what opensource developers recommends that are oss drivers, which is expected, obvious so normal Also users who value opensource, recommend that too - me too, when they works fine of course and if they don't satisfy i recommend else to try too.

So as soon as you go out of linux "apple to apple" tree there is a different story too... so if you value reallity also, now go at AMD site and tell me what you see there

Comment

Some lag my post also appeared now , this one was for duby229 heh.

Comment

Maybe because, we tried to post at the same time or something

Do someone have it87 module kernel oopses with 4.7.2 kernel and 4.8-rc3 or some sensor issues if are common recently? .... Will probably need to research for that myself again

Comment

So as soon as you go out of linux "apple to apple" tree there is a different story too... so if you value reallity also, now go at AMD site and tell me what you see there http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
                  One could also argue that "getting drivers from the vendor site" is not the usual way of operating for Linux, and that upstream is what really matterse.
                  Test signature

Comment

OK, so *this* time I was actually moderated. Short post too, go figure...

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 3 seconds.
                    Not my day
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
                      reclocking is the same on maxwell as on kepler, just no fan control without signed pmu firmware for maxwell2
                      Thanks. That basically answered my question. I guess fan runs at full speed all of the time (i.e. annoying but not dangerous)?
                      I hope your patches make it into 4.9 kernel.

Originally posted by bridgman
                      Not my day
                      I always go back to bed when that happens.

Comment

Working...
                      X