Nouveau Open-Source NVIDIA Tests On Linux 4.8, Mesa 12.1-dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    The AMD results don't mean anything because the hardware isn't the same. In other words you can't base a purchasing decision on this article because it wasn't intended to be an apples to apples comparison.
    Except you only want to use open drivers. Then you would clearly see, that amd is your only choice, who would have thought

Comment

I don't see how you can think this is apples to apples. I mean don't get me wrong, it is a perfectly valid comparison for those people that actually use nouveau. But, waaaay more nvidia users need nvidia driver. As you can you can plainly see there aren't many reasons to use nouveau except for supporting oss.

Apples to apples is comparing what people actually use and that is nvidia vs radeon/amdgpu.
      For many people, usage of closed blobs is out of question, so there are only two choices - amd@amdgpu or nvidia@nouveau. So comparing cards with these drivers is only valid way.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

Except you only want to use open drivers. Then you would clearly see, that amd is your only choice, who would have thought
        That's fair enough. As a reference point to look at, the AMD cards make some sense in this benchmark. Like I said this is a perfectly valid benchmark article, but it isn't apples to apples because the driver used for nvidia isn't the recommended or best supported driver where-as the driver used for AMD was.

Comment

Originally posted by arakan94 View Post

For many people, usage of closed blobs is out of question, so there are only two choices - amd@amdgpu or nvidia@nouveau. So comparing cards with these drivers is only valid way.
          That's fair, it really is. I don't want to discourage oss support. But the driver used for nvidia was not the recommended or the best supported driver for nvidia hardware. If you are interested in open source support then the nouveau results are highly informative and the AMD results provide a reference, but it isn't apples to apples.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            Well i never had problems with the pronunciation it's the spelling.
            Yeah, I was trying to come up with words that might help with the spelling. If you can spell beauty without cheating, you essentially got it, since the order of vowels is the same as in nouveau.
            You are then only left with "ou", which isn't so bad.

well, that's french for you.
            Indeed! A random combination of vowels and consonants that one can only guess how it's pronounced.

Cheers!

Comment

I have no problems with different languages so that's not my point.
              I do understand that there was a good thought behind choosing the name nouveau but even then it can turn out to be a bad choice.
              I do think nouveau is a bad choice of name i have always thought that and i think i always will, when you choose a name for a project for an international audience then you should choose a name that is easier to spell and another person can understand vocally and then spell it.
              Originally posted by Passso View Post
              Well, in this case: is nouveau really harder than Eyjafjallajökull ?
              Thanks for the laugh but to give a true answer i think the pronunciation of Eyjafjallajökull isn't harder then nouveau and the spelling is just as bad.
              The thing is that it's an excellent example and an as bad name and Eyjafjallajökull would fit perfectly for an open source nvidia vulkan driver since it's an Icelandic vulcan.
              I do understand Icelandic better then french.
              Originally posted by Tomin View Post
              In my language, Finnish, words are pronounced like they are spelled. There aren't really exceptions to that. Nouveau, even though it's pronounced like nuvoo, is easy enough for me. I kinda like it actually.

Enivei, wud it not bii fani if ai wrote inglish laik this? Tai, jos kirjoittaisin suomea, ettekä te ymmärtäisi minua. Btw, new is uusi in Finnish.
              It wouldn't be that funny since that is more like it's actually pronounced.
              Uusi would be a just as bad name but at least it's shorter, even in swedish it would be as bad since new is "ny" in swedish so then nv would have been replaced by ny and everyone would be confused and don't mention lettering the word.

Comment

well, that's french for you.
                Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
                Indeed! A random combination of vowels and consonants that one can only guess how it's pronounced.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  Americans should call it new, but in spanish yes it is nuevo It simple means new driver, where nv is old.

جديد in arabic, новый in russian, 新 in chinesse, नई in hindi... pretty much ~100 languages difference
                  Yep, but AFAIK the reason "NouVeau" was picked rather than some other word was that it contained the letters N and V (ie connection to NVidia).
                  Test signature

Comment

That's fair enough. As a reference point to look at, the AMD cards make some sense in this benchmark. Like I said this is a perfectly valid benchmark article, but it isn't apples to apples because the driver used for nvidia isn't the recommended or best supported driver where-as the driver used for AMD was.
                    That is just your POV, as maybe you can go to AMD site and tell us what you see as recommended there? I see only amdgpu-pro and catalyst for linux there, same as if i go to nVidia site i see only nvidia drivers So as you see they both *officialy* recommend blobs

But if you don't go around and visit their sites, you only have opensource drivers in kernel of course. So it is linux kernel that recommends amdgpu/radeon/nouveau drivers, but not blobs of course, those are just out of tree potentional recommendation, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yep, but AFAIK the reason "NouVeau" was picked rather than some other word was that it contained the letters N and V (ie connection to NVidia).
                      Double V is also fine, reminds me on something like C++

Comment

Working...
                      X