Nouveau Open-Source NVIDIA Tests On Linux 4.8, Mesa 12.1-dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wargames View Post
    Compared to AMD's open source support, nouveau sucks, and it will probably always suck. Graphic cards are too complex to reverse engineer how they work. Nouveau should limit the support to basic 2D support. If someone wants open source support, they won't buy Nvidia anyway.
    I appreciate everything these developers do because if Nvidia doesn't do it then i am glad that someone is.
    That said i can't say that you're wrong but impossible things has been done many times thru history.
    People do tend to get the strangest hobbies.
    I don't think nvidia will support open source until the community already done all the job, and nvidia might not do then neither.
    Originally posted by imirkin View Post
    And as wargames said abive, if you care about open-source, definitely stay away from NVIDIA - they're proven time and time again that they have no interest in supporting open source software on their hardware.
    Ouch,That's the harsh truth when it comes from an developer that is known for his work with Nvidia open source drivers.
    Personally my biggest problems with nouveau is spelling it, i can't use a driver that i can't spell without cheating (copy and paste).
    I do get that nouveau means new but for a non french it's only a strange word that's hard to spell and that is mostly made up by different vowels.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      I do get that nouveau means new but for a non french it's only a strange word that's hard to spell and that is mostly made up by different vowels.
      Perhaps I can help with a small suggestion for vowels?
      - "ou" is the "uː" sound (as in tool, move). I think this works in Greek too.
      movement in French is mouvement, and the "u" sound is basically the same in French and English in this case.
      - "eau" sounds like "o" in French. The order is as in beautiful -> "beauti-ful"
      beau in French. Same combination of vowels.

nouveau!

And there goes the off-topic!

Comment

If someone wants open source support, they won't buy Nvidia anyway.
        You can do that already, without taking away the toy of people who are interested in reversing. It's a hobby for some people.

Comment

Thanks Michael for including the GTX 650 (my card currently run with nouveau)
          As I expected, the AMD 480 is waay faster on all cases than my 650, even faster than the 680.
          Of course if i move from nouveau to the 480 I'll move a little blob (firmware) from the hardware to the kernel. But that perfomance could be worth it since the blob is small, it also exist in nvidia, and AMD at least isn't cryptographically signing the firmware (unlike nvidia).

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

movement in French is mouvement, and the "u" sound is basically the same in French and English in this case.

nouveau!

I actually found that interesting/informative.

Have some cool emotes

Comment

nouveau!

It should just be renamed to Ouldeau. It is nothing new at this point really.

Comment

I like the off-topic bits more than the trolling bits

Comment

So for Maxwell, do the fans run full speed all of the time, or do they run at min speed?
                  I'm curious to see how Maxwell fares under Linux 4.9 if the recent reclocking patches make it in. Hopefully, at least the GTX 750Ti will gain reclocking support and make for an interesting benchmark.

Nouveau should limit the support to basic 2D support.
                  Using modesetting/glamor seems to be the way forward, so they need 3D accel for (decent performing) 2D anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                    I'm an ignorant American and I don't have an issue with it. Maybe that's because I own a bureau.

Comment

Considering the Radeon 480 was released this year and the 650 GTX was released in 2012. It's kind of amazing how well the 650 runs. Nouveau has been doing a great job. They've almost caught up to OpenGL 4.5. This situation should get better once all the legacy cards have had their clocking code implemented. Can one of the devs jump in here and let us know. Does the power management architecture change dramatically with each release? or is it more based on series of cards? e.g when nvidia does a design change the power management changes, but if they do a die shrink it doesn't?

Comment

Working...
                      X