Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Wow that is just not fair.

Both AMD a NVidia give the same "bad" driver : you can choose your active card at startup and have to reboot if you need to play a game or save battery.

Optimus is complicated, but with it you can activate on-demand the NVidia card without reboot/X restart. With AMD you do not even have that option...
    Hmm...not sure what you mean but... I have a laptop with amd apu + dgpu and I can switch to the dgpu dynamically when starting programs by using xrandr...

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post

Hmm...not sure what you mean but... I have a laptop with amd apu + dgpu and I can switch to the dgpu dynamically when starting programs by using xrandr...
      With an AMD apu yes, but if you have an Intel proc you have to reboot everytime to use the ATI card or disable it.
      While with NVidia you can activate it on demand with Primus.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
        With an AMD apu yes, but if you have an Intel proc you have to reboot everytime to use the ATI card or disable it.
        While with NVidia you can activate it on demand with Primus.
        This. And even to get here (APUs and dgpu from AMD working decently) it was a pain, and many still don't work.

Our hope here is that RedHat's project of tackling the issue succeeds. Go Lennart I choose you! Make SwichGpuD!

Comment

Oh wow, that was fast. Now if someone could help put Noveau devs with the reclocking plz...

Comment

I know nothing about amd APU + amd dGPU, but my intel gfx HD4600 + amd GCN 1.0 run out of the box.
            If I want some more GPU power (e.g. steam) just set DRI_PRIME=1 in app settings.
            There is some problem as tearing or so but "pain" "reboot" WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post
              I know nothing about amd APU + amd dGPU, but my intel gfx HD4600 + amd GCN 1.0 run out of the box.
              If I want some more GPU power (e.g. steam) just set DRI_PRIME=1 in app settings.
              Exactly... I haven't noticed that it matters if you have an apu or intel..it just works...

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post
                Please read the start of the conversation. I just said that if you want a "smart" system on a laptop with discrete card, then you have to add Primus and it works only for NVidia. In other case you have a simple system you need to reboot to switch the active card, and in this case AMD = NVidia.

Originally posted by vain
                Optimus is a nightmare. Say what you want about AMD's drivers, but at least I can install them without a ton of manual work and reading a novel
                Last edited by Passso; 12 July 2016, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Go Lennart I choose you! Make SwichGpuD!
                  Let's not get carried away now.

Comment

Master5000

But isn't communism and capitalism best combined

So, i recommend AMD hardware and amdgpu driver in two variants available, both supported by AMD so that is where you can choose what you want, like or need more

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      But isn't communism and capitalism best combined
                      You can't even combine them theoretically.

Comment

Working...
                      X