Nouveau With Boost Patches Are Now Competitive To Radeon/AMDGPU With RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Ancurio's point is that the benchmarks shown here may not be representative of real world performance, and he went on to explain why he believes that may be the case. You guys are blowing it way out of proportion.
    Well, you can argue that any benchmark is only representative of some subset of the real world. I don't see what value is he trying to add to this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
      Except that it took Nouveau like 4 years to get Kepler working properly - we aren't even talking about Maxwell here. And since I don't see NVGPU (or actually any kind of official support) happening any time soon, Nouveau will always be at a disadvantage.

Maxwell looks the same as Kepler regarding reclocking. Somebody just have to confirm there aren't any differences. And if there are some, they should be small. I was able to reclocking a 1gen Maxwell card already. And for 2gen Maxwell reclocking we need more signed firmware from Nvidia. So yeah, that's nearly done too.

Comment

Dynamic reclocking would be nice too...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Dynamic reclocking would be nice too...
          Afaik it will be enabled only when devs can be sure it doesn't destroy people's cards. But it will come, eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Soon it looks like AMD won't be even leading in Open-source department....
            Ironically, AMD took the lead at https://mesamatrix.net/ - RadeonSI is most feature complete driver in MESA atm.

Also, FYI, somewhat better power management has been around for a while for most AMD/ATI GPUs. Maybe like 5 years or maybe even more. I refer to long-obsoleted "dynpm" and "profiles", which worked for Radeons ages and ages ago, even before GCNs appeared and there were only VLIW Radeons around, not even AMD's design. Not just it switched frequencies based on vbios tables, dynpm was even able to go up and down on its own, providing automatic freq scaling. Though it had some technical issues related to poor timings and associated visual glitches. From realistic point of view, nouveau isn't on par even with this prehistoric state of Radeon things, because as far as I understand there is no automatic reclocking, not even half-broken like dynpm. Needless to say, manual reclocking is a thing of limited use and only few most hardcore users are ok with it like this. Getting automatic reclocking right took AMD a while, even when they did it like in proprietary driver does it caused a plenty of woes, due to vbios quirks, strange tables content and other fancy crap catalyst worked around "somehow", and nobody knows how, not even AMD, they do not remember it. There're still some fancy bugs. Some GPUs are running slightly downcloked on opensource driver, otherwise they lose stability, and nobody has got idea what's wrong. Not even AMD devs. Nouveau got long way before something like this would even turn into issues. You can't even face bugs when code is missing or incomplete. But its not a feature :P.

But still, great progress and impressive benchmark results. Compared to results without reclocking, difference is epic. It is expected. But still epic.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post

Afaik it will be enabled only when devs can be sure it doesn't destroy people's cards. But it will come, eventually.

nope. Dynamic reclocking only needs stable reclocking. I already have some work in progress for gt215+ nvidia GPUs. For boosting Nouveau has to be sure to not draw too much power out of the GPU, but that will come next most likely (and then maybe dyn reclocking) anyway. I am sure we will manage to finish this also this year.

Comment

Great work guys, and that nearly without help from NVIDIA!
                Keep up the good work!

I'm using an AMD HD 7770

Comment

Working...
                X