Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Is A Steam Linux Game Where Nouveau On Kepler Is Outperforming NVIDIA's Blob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Is A Steam Linux Game Where Nouveau On Kepler Is Outperforming NVIDIA's Blob

Phoronix: There Is A Steam Linux Game Where Nouveau On Kepler Is Outperforming NVIDIA's Blob

With yesterday's Nouveau Kepler vs. Maxwell Performance On Linux 4.6 + Mesa 11.3-dev benchmarks, a number of Phoronix readers expressed their surprise how well the GeForce 600/700 "Kepler" series hardware was performing on the open-source Nouveau driver once manually re-clocking these graphics cards. It's certainly much better than the GTX 900 series performance on Nouveau as the Maxwell GPUs don't have any re-clocking support on Nouveau at all. I'm working on some fresh Nouveau vs. NVIDIA Kepler tests and for one Steam Linux game, this reverse-engineered NVIDIA open-source driver is able to beat out the "binary blob" from NVIDIA...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this means:
    a) nouveau wasnt aplying every quality setting(no msaa or something else)
    b) a driver created with zero support from nvidia uses better the cpu thus the potencial performance is better

Comment

"a) nouveau wasnt aplying every quality setting(no msaa or something else)"

That's a good point that we don't always see in these reviews. If Nouveau is actually performing all of the same graphical effects then it's impressive, but if Nouveau is skipping out on unsupported features then it's not really a valid comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
        "a) nouveau wasnt aplying every quality setting(no msaa or something else)"

That's a good point that we don't always see in these reviews. If Nouveau is actually performing all of the same graphical effects then it's impressive, but if Nouveau is skipping out on unsupported features then it's not really a valid comparison.
        The visual quality appeared the same to me, obviously if it wasn't I would have pointed it out.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It's been a long time coming, there may be use for my soon-to-be replaced 670 after all. Now it's just a matter of catching these performance levels up with maxwell and pascal.

Comment

The fact that the game is cpu limited makes this result even more impressive, imo. I thought the proprietary driver's biggest strength was the efficient use of the cpu and the use of multithreading?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The visual quality appeared the same to me, obviously if it wasn't I would have pointed it out.
              Have you compared screenshots?
              Because just by looking at the monitor, I assure you you can't tell between different levels of shadow quality of AO. Many graphical features that eat a lot of GPU power have only subtle effects and it's easy to miss them if seeing one benchmark after another.

However, rendering quality is only one of the possible explanations. The binary blob may simply have more validations in place and that would show in a CPU-limited benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yeah but visual quality usually requires very up close frame for frame inspection. You can't possibly inspect an entire frame when it was only on screen for a tiny fraction a second.
                Last edited by duby229; 31 March 2016, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Or maybe they detect in game broken or unavailable feature and disable it. And it looks that you have more fps, but you don't see some advanced effects.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yeah but visual quality usually requires very up close frame for frame inspection. You can't possibly inspect an entire frame when it was only on screen for a tiny fraction a second.
                    If this game does have benchmark abilities, then I guess it would be possible to make exactly the same screenshots, where you can diff them. This is quite a manual labour though. Possibly opening the game console, entering player coordinates, view angle, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X