The NVIDIA GTX 900 Series Performance On The Open-Source Nouveau Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wodencafe View Post
    I might sound like a dick by asking this, but doesn't the whole situation with Nouveau mean that NVIDIA has their cake and gets to eat it, too?

They force the Open Source community to rely on "Signed Firmware Blobs" (which sounds an awful lot like a proprietary driver to me) and still keep their hardware internals mostly secret and closed, and they abstract away anything else and leave it to the community to implement - which is mostly being done by volunteers (The Nouveau team), for free.

In fact, the "Signed Firmware Blobs" are completely counter-intuitive to the reasoning behind Nouveau: An Open Source Driver for NVIDIA Video Cards.

Does NVIDIA's choice not pigeon-hole Nouveau as an "Open Source Wrapper" rather than a Driver?
    You sound like a mighty retard. No piece of modern hardware can run without firmware. NVIDIA is just a little bit too restrictive and paranoid in regard to Maxwell v2 - i.e. its firmware is also responsible for reclocking and fan management. In case of AMD you are free to burn your GPU to ashes. NVIDIA somehow is not content with that.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

You sound like a mighty retard. No piece of modern hardware can run without firmware. NVIDIA is just a little bit too restrictive and paranoid in regard to Maxwell v2 - i.e. its firmware is also responsible for reclocking and fan management. In case of AMD you are free to burn your GPU to ashes. NVIDIA somehow is not content with that.

well in fact no. The firmware doesn't reclock. There are some scripts executed by the PMU to reclock memory, but this is generated on the Host on the fly and the reason why it is done on the PMU is soly that you can disconnect some stuff from memory.

Comment

I get to run wayland on my 980, I don't really care if its slow in games (=

Comment

So much negativity in this thread.
          Nouveau might not work to good on maxwell yet but still the nouveau developers is doing an amazing job and there's constant progress.
          I think of when it wasn't possible to run these tests at all.

Comment

Ah, well. I really don't feel like using this on my $700 card and transform it into a $50 card performance-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

It seems you're just looking for a chance to be an asshole. But since you don't contribute to Nouveau or NVIDIA, and you have only given us your (incorrect) assessment, your post is more of a failure than a response.

Comment

Well, to add technical bits to the debate: in my case (660), the NVIDIA blob causes incredible amounts of tearing. As in, it's impossible to play anything 3D, even scrolling pages is really hard on the eyes. It's fixable with a whole bunch of hacks applied (including setting some environment variables; vsync is just a small part of what needs to be enabled), but it causes a huge performance penalty.

On the other hand, Nouveau works perfectly in that regard, there is no tearing whatsoever with default settings. However... it tends to randomly lock the GPU (and thus the system) up.

So it's a "pick your poison" situation for me. Sometimes I'm thinking that running swrast might be the best solution... At least it would not require rebuilding the blob every time the kernel updates (which, on Tumbleweed, is often).

Comment

That triangle test results is low. It reminds me the initial Fury tests. I'm sure if that can be brought up to the same level of the current radeonsi results the Nouveau driver will be quite nice for most users.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                  Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                    I get to run wayland on my 980, I don't really care if its slow in games (=

you buy a 980 to run with open drivers? what wast of money

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      Well, to add technical bits to the debate: in my case (660), the NVIDIA blob causes incredible amounts of tearing. As in, it's impossible to play anything 3D, even scrolling pages is really hard on the eyes. It's fixable with a whole bunch of hacks applied (including setting some environment variables; vsync is just a small part of what needs to be enabled), but it causes a huge performance penalty.

On the other hand, Nouveau works perfectly in that regard, there is no tearing whatsoever with default settings. However... it tends to randomly lock the GPU (and thus the system) up.

So it's a "pick your poison" situation for me. Sometimes I'm thinking that running swrast might be the best solution... At least it would not require rebuilding the blob every time the kernel updates (which, on Tumbleweed, is often).

what DE you use?

Comment

Working...
                      X