Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Easy Now Getting GeForce GTX 900 Graphics Cards Running On Open-Source Nouveau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Easy Now Getting GeForce GTX 900 Graphics Cards Running On Open-Source Nouveau

Phoronix: It's Easy Now Getting GeForce GTX 900 Graphics Cards Running On Open-Source Nouveau

Now that everything has been mainlined concerning the GeForce GTX 900 "Maxwell" support in the open-source Nouveau driver, it's relatively easy getting the hardware acceleration with OpenGL support running on this community-based, reverse-engineered Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kudos to the Nouveau team for getting the hardware acceleration working!

I wonder though, why it has been so treacherous to implement overclocking support.

I actually have a GTX 9 series, and when the Nouveau driver is a bit more stable (and with a little bit more OpenGL support), I will switch over.
    Last edited by wodencafe; 23 March 2016, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wodencafe View Post
      Kudos to the Nouveau team for getting the hardware acceleration working!

I wonder though, why it has been so treacherous to implement overclocking support.

I actually have a GTX 9 series, and when the Nouveau driver is a bit more stable (and with a little bit more OpenGL support), I will switch over.
      Well we don't have access to the full GPU yet, so Memory reclocking isn't possible. Will take some time and more signed Firmware files. But I got reclocking working on first gen Maxwell, because it seems like to work just like Kepler. Further testing needed though.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

Well we don't have access to the full GPU yet, so Memory reclocking isn't possible. Will take some time and more signed Firmware files. But I got reclocking working on first gen Maxwell, because it seems like to work just like Kepler. Further testing needed though.
        Wow this sounds pretty promising, well thanks for all the hard work

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

Does the first generation including the 860M chip, commonly found in laptop. Great Work though

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
            Does the first generation including the 860M chip, commonly found in laptop. Great Work though
            Yes gtx 860m is first gen. I wonder how to get reclock working because I own a Notebook with that card

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post

Yes gtx 860m is first gen. I wonder how to get reclock working because I own a Notebook with that card
              Well you can always come into the nouveau IRC channel and ask to help out. I also have some branches in my git repository one could just try out and when there are no problems it means it somehow works.

But currently more mmiotraces of the nvidia driver are needed for verification.

Comment

I have 840m and the generation should be supported, but actual 840m is not due to some bug.
                07:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 840M] (rev ff)
                bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=89558

Comment

Finally nvidia shown at least some cooperation. But wait, still no reclocking? Hey, Mr. Torvalds, please repeat your magic wand waving, it seems Nvidia is slow-thinking entity and one time isn't enough to get the idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X