Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GeForce GTX 900 Series Open-Source Support Is Ready For Linux 4.6

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GeForce GTX 900 Series Open-Source Support Is Ready For Linux 4.6

    Phoronix: GeForce GTX 900 Series Open-Source Support Is Ready For Linux 4.6

    The Nouveau driver updates for the Linux 4.6 merge window were staged on Sunday into the DRM-Next tree...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...GM200-DRM-Next

  • #2
    Nice, it's just one generation behind as the Pascal is just around the corner...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by faldzip View Post
      Nice, it's just one generation behind as the Pascal is just around the corner...
      I think Maxwell was the big change, transitioning to Pascal should be easy. Emphasis on should.

      Comment


      • #4
        What exactly was the big change in Maxwell you are referring to? I am pretty sure it took so long because of Nvidia's restrictions.
        It seems likely, though, that Pascal doesn't differ too much from Maxwell...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by juno View Post
          What exactly was the big change in Maxwell you are referring to? I am pretty sure it took so long because of Nvidia's restrictions.
          It seems likely, though, that Pascal doesn't differ too much from Maxwell...
          Maxwell was the first time Nvidia had to deal with releasing that new signed firmware. Pascal will be wildly different from Maxwell, but the process of releasing signed firmware should now be familiar.

          Comment


          • #6
            OMG, nice.
            I started wondering why the graphics doesn't work too well on my brand new notebook (i7-6700+gtx 950m). I have Leap42.1 (kernel 4.1.something) and found out today that the integrated graphics needs a fix, and the nouveau too :/
            Let the fun begin ...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by vmicho View Post
              OMG, nice.
              I started wondering why the graphics doesn't work too well on my brand new notebook (i7-6700+gtx 950m). I have Leap42.1 (kernel 4.1.something) and found out today that the integrated graphics needs a fix, and the nouveau too :/
              Let the fun begin ...
              Did you tried to install "primus"? It works very well on Opensuse and you will get better perfs.
              (I forgot to mention that it works well with nvidia's drivers)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Passso View Post

                Did you tried to install "primus"? It works very well on Opensuse and you will get better perfs.
                (I forgot to mention that it works well with nvidia's drivers)
                I'll try. Thanks for the tip.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Having non-free firmware pollute a free software project is not the solution. The firmware should be open too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tegs View Post
                    Having non-free firmware pollute a free software project is not the solution. The firmware should be open too.
                    Then you should also be demanding that AMD and Intel (for Skylake and newer) also open their firmware as they too require blobs with their open drivers... Or that CPU microcode be open too...
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X