Nouveau Linux 4.5 vs. NVIDIA OpenGL Performance: Open-Source Not Up To Par

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Linux 4.5 vs. NVIDIA OpenGL Performance: Open-Source Not Up To Par

Phoronix: Nouveau Linux 4.5 vs. NVIDIA OpenGL Performance: Open-Source Not Up To Par

With the Linux 4.5 kernel bringing PCI Express link speed changes and other alterations to the open-source NVIDIA (Nouveau) driver, here are benchmarks comparing this unofficial open-source NVIDIA Linux driver on Linux 4.4 and Linux 4.5-rc3 compared to the proprietary NVIDIA Linux graphics driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like the 680 is the best fully free driver supported GPU on the market then?

... from a company who hates freedom.

Those results were actually really good. The problem is that using Nouveau involves giving Nvidia money.

Comment

Not bad. If Nvidia would publish some doc on the recloking, then maybe there would not be so may people complaining about bumblebee and nvidia prime in the forums. Perhaps things will be better when the neutral library will be mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        Looks like the 680 is the best fully free driver supported GPU on the market then?

... from a company who hates freedom.

Those results were actually really good. The problem is that using Nouveau involves giving Nvidia money.
        Oh nice perspective. Usually i only hear the catalyst-sucks-and-i-buy-nvidia-and-wont-think-any-further-attitude.
        thumbs up.

Comment

It's interesting to see that the Open Source OpenGL implementation doesn't appear to be much/any slower than the closed source one. It appears that the speed issues are more related to individual card reclocking issues. This bodes well for the future, as the OpenGL stack is nearing completion and the Card reclocking work appears to be picking up speed.

Comment

Impressive if you consider Nvidia hasn't contributed a thing besides Tegra crap.

Comment

Nice results. I'm waiting for seeing similar results for the computing part...

Comment

I wonder what the nouveau devs will do once they're completely done with Kepler. Since Maxwell GPUs require cryptographically signed firmware, there is no way nouveau will ever be able to reclock them (unless Nvidia finally releases the firmware), or am I wrong? I don't expect Nvidia will remove the crypto-lock in Pascal or newer gpus.

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
                  I wonder what the nouveau devs will do once they're completely done with Kepler. Since Maxwell GPUs require cryptographically signed firmware, there is no way nouveau will ever be able to reclock them (unless Nvidia finally releases the firmware), or am I wrong? I don't expect Nvidia will remove the crypto-lock in Pascal or newer gpus.
                  Is there some reason that someone hasn't just sucked the firmware files out of the Nvidia Windows drivers? People used to do that all the time for wireless network cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Is there some reason that someone hasn't just sucked the firmware files out of the Nvidia Windows drivers? People used to do that all the time for wireless network cards.

well someone has to figure out where they are and because they are encrypted... well you can do the math

Comment

Working...
                    X