PMU Engine Counter Support For Nouveau, Needed For Dynamic Reclocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMU Engine Counter Support For Nouveau, Needed For Dynamic Reclocking

Phoronix: PMU Engine Counter Support For Nouveau, Needed For Dynamic Reclocking

Karol Herbst has published a set of patches for implementing PMU engine counters, which will be needed for supporting dynamic re-clocking with newer GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's great that they Nouveau developers still put so much effort into NV50 Tesla.
    Well done Karol.

Comment

Perhaps also what about the older but still darn good cards like the 9800 GTX? Will reclocking be available for GeForce 6,7,8 series even?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        It's great that they Nouveau developers still put so much effort into NV50 Tesla.
        Well 3gen Tesla, the early teslas don't have a PMU

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
        Perhaps also what about the older but still darn good cards like the 9800 GTX? Will reclocking be available for GeForce 6,7,8 series even?
        You can also do this on the CPU and poll the hardware for its load every 0.1 second, but that causes a lot of interrupts. There might be something like a PMU on these older cards, but because I own only a Kepler and a Fermi card myself, I concentrate on those and what I can actually test with those.

But yeah, doing this on the CPU would be easy, but would somehow annoy laptop users cause of higher power consumption

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

Well 3gen Tesla, the early teslas don't have a PMU

You can also do this on the CPU and poll the hardware for its load every 0.1 second, but that causes a lot of interrupts. There might be something like a PMU on these older cards, but because I own only a Kepler and a Fermi card myself, I concentrate on those and what I can actually test with those.

But yeah, doing this on the CPU would be easy, but would somehow annoy laptop users cause of higher power consumption
          What if the functionality was enableable through a switch so desktop users could turn it on?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

What if the functionality was enableable through a switch so desktop users could turn it on?

Well on those old chips there is not that much to do anyway. I guess there is a way for the hardware to notify the cpu to upclock, but I just didn't dig into that yet

Comment

Working...
            X