Nouveau Now Implements Two More GL4 Extensions, Very Close To OpenGL 4.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Now Implements Two More GL4 Extensions, Very Close To OpenGL 4.2

Phoronix: Nouveau Now Implements Two More GL4 Extensions, Very Close To OpenGL 4.2

While the Nouveau NVC0 and RadeonSI Gallium3D drivers were tied for a while in terms of their OpenGL 4 extension coverage, the NVC0 driver for NVIDIA Fermi GPUs and newer has advanced further with two more extensions -- one for OpenGL 4.2 and the other for OpenGL 4.3 -- now being supported by this open-source, reverse-engineered driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if mesa will have the vulkan drivers for nouveau ready on vulkan release... same with radeon.

Comment

AMD says they will have a Vulkan driver available at launch (albeit proprietary), and Michael just posted an article about Nouveau SPIR-V support, which is the GPU program binary representation of Vulkan:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        I wonder if mesa will have the vulkan drivers for nouveau ready on vulkan release... same with radeon.
        I'm going to guess no - except for Intel. A lot of the OpenGL 4.3 level features are required for Vulcan. If they haven't been reverse engineered/implemented for OpenGL in Mesa, then the hard bits probably just haven't been done yet.

In any case, IMO Vulcan is ultimately just another step in the natural evolution of something that already exists. There'll be something after Vulcan as well. The real story is in the business propositions - i.e. Microsoft vs Valve vs Google Android. If you are a business guy you'll not be particularly worried about graphics library minutiae - it's all about how you can get 20% more sales...

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
          A lot of the OpenGL 4.3 level features are required for Vulcan.
          That's interesting I've never heard any mention of Vulkan having OpenGL 4.3 requirements before. Is this officially stated anywhere?

According to the official website Vulkan is a ground up design, which to me indicates there's no dependency on OpenGL.

Vulkanâ„¢ is the new generation, open standard API for high-efficiency access to graphics and compute on modern GPUs. This ground-up design, previously referred to as the Next Generation OpenGL Initiative, provides applications direct control over GPU acceleration for maximized performance and predictability.

Comment

Ilia Mirkin, you are awesome. Just in case you didn't know yet Thanks for the valueable work!

To make the mesamatrix even greener, you could mark the two extensions as done for GLES 3.1 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
              That's interesting I've never heard any mention of Vulkan having OpenGL 4.3 requirements before. Is this officially stated anywhere?

OpenGL 4.3 level hardware, not OpenGL dependencies - so hardware support for compute and so on. If there was nouveau and radeon code to support for these hardware features, I'm guessing there'd be a push to at least test the concept in Mesa by wiring in the appropriate extensions rather than waiting for Vulcan release...

...I'm thinking there isn't Open Source Vulcan support yet. Except for Intel, who coincidentally have wired in most of OpenGL 4.3.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

OpenGL 4.3 level hardware, not OpenGL dependencies - so hardware support for compute and so on. If there was nouveau and radeon code to support for these hardware features, I'm guessing there'd be a push to at least test the concept in Mesa by wiring in the appropriate extensions rather than waiting for Vulcan release...

...I'm thinking there isn't Open Source Vulcan support yet. Except for Intel, who coincidentally have wired in most of OpenGL 4.3.
                I'm sure reverse engineering the Nvidia HW is just a small part of writing the actual extensions. GL extensions are huge, the most annoying part is having to write piglit tests (nobody enjoys writing those); once someone commits to doing it and bringing up the core mesa infrastructure, adding the HW support by other driver teams is usually straightforward.

Comment

AMD will open source their own Vulkan driver, so trying to do it trough Mesa might be double effort. Nouveau however will have to do that if they will want to add Vulkan support. However, comparing to implement full OpenGL stack Vulkan might be easier target to tackle (especially with clear and open spec and solid open source based test suite).

Comment

I thought we already established that Vulkan won't be a part of Mesa and won't run on top of/through Gallium. It's at a lower level, so it will interface directly with the kernel DRM drivers. At least, that was my understanding of the recent discussion.

Comment

Working...
                    X