Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Open-Source Christmas Present: Some Documentation

Phoronix: NVIDIA Open-Source Christmas Present: Some Documentation

It seems a few days ago NVIDIA quietly released some documentation to help open-source driver developers working on Nouveau...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are they intending to release more later? It seems to me that maybe nvidia is just starting to write documentation and releasing it as they go along.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 22 December 2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Afaik, nvidia has always looked at nouveau as a bootstrap solution to allow you to install the real driver. It worked for me just fine, but I won't complain if they choose to be more open-source friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

Are they intending to release more later? It seems to me that maybe nvidia is just starting to write documentation and releasing it as they go along.
        quote, it's something

Comment

Signed firmware please

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
            Signed firmware please

Was just about to say that. It's great for the nouveau developers that documentation is forthcoming, but we users need the firmware blobs, especially for Maxwell and above.

Comment

It would be funny to see nouveau properly reclocking sooner than amdgpu. Wouldn't be that surprising though...

Comment

Well until NVIDIA properly support an open source driver on Linux I'm getting just AMD cards, I don't really care about their binary blob and small almost insignificant attempts like this.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  It would be funny to see nouveau properly reclocking sooner than amdgpu. Wouldn't be that surprising though...
                  Give me a break. We have had dynamic power management support for all supported asics with radeon for years. We had dynamic power management support for APUs in amdgpu upstream prior to hw launch time and we are working on getting support for amdgpu dGPUs upstream now.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Give me a break. We have had dynamic power management support for all supported asics with radeon for years. We had dynamic power management support for APUs in amdgpu upstream prior to hw launch time and we are working on getting support for amdgpu dGPUs upstream now.

For some, the propaganda is irresistable. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X