Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Support For ETC2/ASTC Texture Compression

Phoronix: Nouveau Support For ETC2/ASTC Texture Compression

Prolific Nouveau contributor Ilia Mirkin has published a Gallium3D driver patch for implementing ETC2 and ASTC support on hardware supporting these texture compression methods...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for keeping us up to date on these, next year is going to be marvelous when the pieces all come together

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
      imirkin Any ideas which nvidia hardware generations on desktop do support ASTC? The extension is not exposed by proprietary drivers yet, though there is a few enums in DX11.x/12 to check for ASTC availability. I have found some clues about its support on GTX 960 here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...925#post835925

It would be great if Intel and AMD devs could shed some light regards to the matter too.
      I've tested it on GK20A, so that definitely has it. I've been led to believe that all GM107+ has it as well, but I've not personally verified this.

For Intel, some Gen8 variant has it (one of the mobile ones.. Broxton? Something like that), and all Gen9 (Skylake) do as well, including desktop. The latter are supported in Mesa.

For AMD, I believe that Stoney will be the first with hw support for ASTC. I don't think there's Mesa support for it (but I also don't think the hw has been released yet).

Comment

Does mesa have software support for these yet, like for other formats? So that the app can pass those in even if the hw doesn't support them?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Does mesa have software support for these yet, like for other formats? So that the app can pass those in even if the hw doesn't support them?
          Does this answer to your question: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...749#post614749 ?

Comment

It does for ETC, thanks, but not for ASTC.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post

I've tested it on GK20A, so that definitely has it. I've been led to believe that all GM107+ has it as well, but I've not personally verified this.

For Intel, some Gen8 variant has it (one of the mobile ones.. Broxton? Something like that), and all Gen9 (Skylake) do as well, including desktop. The latter are supported in Mesa.

For AMD, I believe that Stoney will be the first with hw support for ASTC. I don't think there's Mesa support for it (but I also don't think the hw has been released yet).
              Marek had a patch to enable it for Stoney. I don't recall if it went upstream or not yet.

Comment

Working...
              X