NVIDIA + Nouveau: "Hopefully More Surprises To Come"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    I am not directly interested in that, but I sometimes see our users struggle with the older Tegra 2/3/4. I feel a bit bad for those users (but not too bad, as they should have known what they were getting into).

There was the OpenTegra driver, but its author got employed by NVidia and on that day all his commit activity on OpenTegra stopped. NVidia's proprietary driver for older Tegras is unmaintained and doesn't support newer X servers.

If a solution could be found, either inside Nouveau (less likely) or separate from it (more likely), that would be a nice gesture from NVidia towards these users.
    I believe you're looking for grate: https://github.com/grate-driver

Pre-K1 tegras, while using a comparable GPU architecture to some of the desktop chips, were still quite different.

Comment

only use nvidia who wants, who buy it, why they should support opensource driver?

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        But that problem is already solved by at least one distro. In Gentoo there is the nvidia-firmware package which automates that for you. Other distros don't have such a package due to lack of developer interest, or self-inflicted reasons.
        Problem is not solved, problem is workarounded

Of course that workaround sound just like so called pepperflash... where user need to took new flash from Chrome (because it is not redistributable other way) and then use it with Firefox, providing they have freshplayer lib

Where is the actual problem? it is on NVIDIA and Adobe side so on the blob side or on the other hand it is on user side because they want to use something not exactly in the way those companies command

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
        only use nvidia who wants, who buy it, why they should support opensource driver?
        You mean NVIDIA Corporation as they? Same way because Intel and AMD do opensource drivers, and those do it because they have Linux customers who wants opensource driver.
        Last edited by dungeon; 13 October 2015, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
          I can only assume this is because no one uses those distros (I know I certainly don't). And if they do, they're not interested in using nouveau
          it is funny that the only person who gets salary for developing nouveau is working for redhat

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
            seriously, the nouveau dev doesn't have to do anything, they don't get paid, they do it on their free time.
            sane user just won't by nvidia hardware, problem solved

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Problem is not solved, problem is workarounded

Of course that workaround sound just like so called pepperflash... where user need to took new flash from Chrome (because it is not redistributable other way) and then use it with Firefox, providing they have freshplayer lib

Where is the actual problem? it is on NVIDIA and Adobe side so on the blob side or on the other hand it is on user side because they want to use something not exactly in the way those companies command

You mean NVIDIA Corporation as they? Same way because Intel and AMD do opensource drivers, and those do it because they have Linux customers who wants opensource driver.

and nvidia have the obrigation? lol and where is the freedom of choice? you talk like a radical, if intel and amd(more and less) provides a opensource driver and you want a opensource buy their products and not nvidia ones... only buy nvidia who wants and they are clear about their policy

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

and nvidia have the obrigation? lol and where is the freedom of choice? you talk like a radical, if intel and amd(more and less) provides a opensource driver and you want a opensource buy their products and not nvidia ones... only buy nvidia who wants and they are clear about their policy
                Choice is there in case of AMD So if i use AMD chips and want Catalyst i use Catalyst. And if i want opensource driver i use radeon driver - both supported by AMD.

In case of nVidia they support only blob, so if I want blob i use it that part is fine. But if i want opensource driver then i am supported by me Or at best by Ilia Mirkin's and Co band who try to reinvent guitar in their spare EU time... there is no other choice

And in case of Intel, if i want OpenGL 4 i use Windows - there is no other choice

Just watched this video, it seems UT have "bright" future on Linux

Last edited by dungeon; 14 October 2015, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  Nouveau has proper Optimus support, does it not? Bumblebee is only necessary for the proprietary driver. And there the solution is libglvnd, there's been discussion about it recently at the mesa mailing list.
                  nouveau works with prime, so there is some level of support. I used to almost be able to get optimus to work, but my msi has a crap MUX that crashed x on xrandr.
                  Now that I'm using the wayland gnome, I have no idea what tools to use to see if I can make my 765m actually doing anything. I guess I can try steam with prime.

anyway, trying to say that it seems more complicated than "solving optimus". having Intel and Nvidia being in separate rooms seems to make it more complex.

Comment

jaxxed try DRI 3 offloading? then you don't need to play around with stupid xrandr anymore (but I don't know if that even works, should though).

anyway, crashes with the mux can be debugged and shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post

So use a less retarded distro? One that works OOTB? Or mention it to your preferred distro maintainers? This is a packaging/distribution issue.
                      ok, that was really of harsh and wrong at the same time.

if user picks wrong distro for how he wants things to work, it is not distro that is retarded.... some of us like fedora exactly because it is what it is and take it with grain of salt for what it is knowing where benefits are. those strict policies that make some things harder are there for a reason
                      Last edited by justmy2cents; 14 October 2015, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X