NVIDIA + Nouveau: "Hopefully More Surprises To Come"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
    The instructions for extracting video decoding firmware from the blob are pretty simple and work on all distros (that have basic tools).
    There is only one problem. In no way its plug-n-play or user-friendly. Do you honestly think it should work like THIS?

So I guess if Nvidia is serious about surprses and cooperation, I think they should make it less retarded and just put their firmwares available for download, allowing re-distribution. So distros can just pick it up. AMD, Intel and many other vendors already doing this for ages and Nvidia is probably one of the worst exceptions left. And I wonder if Nvidia did something about GTX9xx with their signed firmwares? Or maybe they put proper hardware documentation, after all? They have very interesting notion of cooperation.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
      There is only one problem. In no way its plug-n-play or user-friendly. Do you honestly think it should work like THIS?
      emerge nvidia-firmware

Seems easy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
        Would it matter? It appears that you're a lot more interested in complaining about nouveau than using it.
        You're wrong. I tested Fedora 23 and it doesn't work with nouveau OOTB, that's a problem that needs to be fixed, when it gets fixed people will not complain about this problem anymore. That's logic.
        The biggest hacker fallacy I've seen in open source community is that if a problem can be fixed by the user - it's not (really) a problem, a variant of ostrich policy.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          You're wrong. I tested Fedora 23 and it doesn't work with nouveau OOTB, that's a problem that needs to be fixed, when it gets fixed people will not complain about this problem anymore. That's logic.
          The biggest hacker fallacy I've seen in open source community is that if a problem can be fixed by the user - it's not (really) a problem, a variant of ostrich policy.

Except bitching around you could actually try to solve the problem, it would save us time reading your bitching and it would let you do something productive

Comment

seriously, the nouveau dev doesn't have to do anything, they don't get paid, they do it on their free time.

Comment

Which is why I told him about the decades old problem with hackers logic - they think people should embrace the idea fixing OS/software by themselves, which is idiotic. I never told the users of my software that they can fix the problems in my software and hence there's no problem and/or they shouldn't complain - what I've always done - either tell them I don't have the time/will to fix the problem or actually fix it. I never used the sissy hacker logic "yo bro, learn to google and fix software, smoke some weed, learn bash and patching".

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
                seriously, the nouveau dev doesn't have to do anything, they don't get paid, they do it on their free time.
                Some nouveau devs do get paid, but that's a different topic.

Comment

To be fair, most "regular" users will just use the proprietary driver because it gives better performance. Anybody who wants to run nouveau can probably figure out how to obtain the firmware. Better OOB support is probably something that people would start to care about if/when nouveau starts performing comparably to the proprietary driver.

Comment

So I guess if Nvidia is serious about surprses and cooperation, I think they should make it less retarded and just put their firmwares available for download, allowing re-distribution. So distros can just pick it up. AMD, Intel and many other vendors already doing this for ages and Nvidia is probably one of the worst exceptions left. And I wonder if Nvidia did something about GTX9xx with their signed firmwares? Or maybe they put proper hardware documentation, after all? They have very interesting notion of cooperation.
                    Thanks, captain obvious, but you are completely missing the point here. NVIDIA does not care about Nouveau any further than Tegra K1+. That's where the cooperation happens. The android tree does not support video decoding, so you won't see the firmwares, as simple as that. Engineers are pretty keen on helping nouveau and do so when they can. Legal is another story. Unless there is a ROI, there won't be any change.

As for nouveau devs, we know the problem and solved it for our distros of interest (many thanks to Ilia for making a script that extract the fw from the blob, which is freely redistributable). If you care about fedora and ubuntu, just make a fucking package for it. Why should *we* care about *your* distro?

TLDR? Nouveau devs found ways to extract firmwares but for legal reasons, can't redistribute them. NVIDIA does not see the value of distributing their video firmwares, so users have to do it on their machine. Nouveau devs made packages for their distros of choice to automate this but they have other stuff to do than care about your laziness.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post

Some nouveau devs do get paid, but that's a different topic.
                      Outside of NVIDIA? There is 1.

Comment

Working...
                      X