Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Gets A Few Patches Regarding Voltage Control

Phoronix: Nouveau Gets A Few Patches Regarding Voltage Control

In his spare time outside of Intel's Open-Source Technology Center, Martin Peres has been working on a few improvements to the Nouveau DRM driver when it comes to voltage controls...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder does reclocking work with Fermi and older at all and if anyone is working on those. I have a Fermi card (GTX460), which I'm running with Nvidia's drivers right now, and an older G86M card (Quadro NVS 140M), which I'd like to run with nouveau but that seems to make way too much heat even in idle.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
      I wonder does reclocking work with Fermi and older at all and if anyone is working on those. I have a Fermi card (GTX460), which I'm running with Nvidia's drivers right now, and an older G86M card (Quadro NVS 140M), which I'd like to run with nouveau but that seems to make way too much heat even in idle.
      Reclocking on nv4x is mostly working, and GT21x is largely functional as well. The NVAA/NVAC (MCPxx) IGPs should work as well. Recently patches were integrated for reclocking on G200 (available in 4.2 or 4.3), and Roy is working his way back, playing with a G94 now. Most of that series should be mostly identical, with just a few variations, so I doubt it'll take too long. (We've also had it mostly working in the past, so there's old code to base it on.)

Really Fermi's the one that's left out in the cold, with very little concretely known about it. It will take a considerable effort to iron it all out. (And Kepler's hardly done either.)

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post

Reclocking on nv4x is mostly working, and GT21x is largely functional as well. The NVAA/NVAC (MCPxx) IGPs should work as well. Recently patches were integrated for reclocking on G200 (available in 4.2 or 4.3), and Roy is working his way back, playing with a G94 now. Most of that series should be mostly identical, with just a few variations, so I doubt it'll take too long. (We've also had it mostly working in the past, so there's old code to base it on.)

Really Fermi's the one that's left out in the cold, with very little concretely known about it. It will take a considerable effort to iron it all out. (And Kepler's hardly done either.)
        imirkin, about Fermi; is there anything that can be done to help? I looked into the RE tools, but it seems I have too much video memory (1GB) to able to make dumps of clock transitions. I recently assembled a Dell E6530 with NVS 5200M aka GF108GLM which works well with nouveau except the clocks are so low that the performance is *much* less than the "Intel HD4000" of my i7-3840QM. I'm quite willing to help test anything, and I'm generally okay at hacking things but I don't have any specific experience with nouveau.

Comment

got 550 ti here - its really in the cold. bloody thing wont even work with nouveau, desktop freezes after login to DE. sometimes with visual artifacts too.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
            imirkin, about Fermi; is there anything that can be done to help? I looked into the RE tools, but it seems I have too much video memory (1GB) to able to make dumps of clock transitions. I recently assembled a Dell E6530 with NVS 5200M aka GF108GLM which works well with nouveau except the clocks are so low that the performance is *much* less than the "Intel HD4000" of my i7-3840QM. I'm quite willing to help test anything, and I'm generally okay at hacking things but I don't have any specific experience with nouveau.
            If you want to help, join #nouveau on freenode. RE of that stuff is basically an interminable sequence of mmiotraces where you look at what changes in its reclocking scripts as you fuzz the vbios. There is nothing to test for now... the RE work has yet to be done. On the bright side we do already know a bunch about DDR3, GDDR5, etc, so those bits are probably going to be similar.

Comment

I'd be great to be able to help with nouveau (or any open source graphics driver). I'm a CS student and I've dreamed about getting into open source graphics driver development but I haven't really had the time to get started (like building mesa from git).

Comment

Working...
              X