Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Has Someone Working On Nouveau CUDA Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA Has Someone Working On Nouveau CUDA Support

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Has Someone Working On Nouveau CUDA Support

    The shocker of the day is that aside from an independent (non-NVIDIA) open-source developer working on Nouveau SPIR-V support is that there's an actual NVIDIA employee working towards CUDA compute support atop the open-source Nouveau graphics driver...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u-CUDA-Support

  • #2
    Michael knows something that we don't know.

    I can feel it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Michael knows something that we don't know.

      I can feel it.
      Half Life 3 confirmed.

      Comment


      • #4
        Tegra support. Nothing to see here move along people.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          Tegra support. Nothing to see here move along people.
          Agree. Don't have much expectations from Nvidia

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by swoorup View Post
            Agree. Don't have much expectations from Nvidia
            Same here.
            Although (thought experiment to follow). nouveau being gallium based, how would they go about implementing CUDA for nouveau? AFAIK the answer is "State tracker"; which is shared between drivers. CUDA could become cross vendor in OSS world...
            Oh, and hell is apparently freezing over...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Serafean View Post

              Same here.
              Although (thought experiment to follow). nouveau being gallium based, how would they go about implementing CUDA for nouveau? AFAIK the answer is "State tracker"; which is shared between drivers. CUDA could become cross vendor in OSS world...
              Oh, and hell is apparently freezing over...
              As a FOSS proponent you sould rather ask for proper OpenCL support for NVidia GPUs than promoting CUDA.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by entropy View Post

                As a FOSS proponent you sould rather ask for proper OpenCL support for NVidia GPUs than promoting CUDA.
                I'm not trying to promote CUDA, I'm simply trying to see something positive in this move...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  Tegra support. Nothing to see here move along people.
                  Why would a tegra user want or need CUDA?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                    Why would a tegra user want or need CUDA?

                    NVIDIAs newest Tegra chips aren't only for mobile platforms, but also targeted at the automotive market for computer vision, self driving cars etc. For that you need CUDA.
                    http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-x1-processor.html

                    I'm pretty sure there won't be CUDA support for GeForce cards, because they'd have to enable power management and reclocking for these cards first.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X