No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Starts Supplying Open-Source Hardware Reference Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I certainly remember the r300 launch. It was common for a 9500np to function just fine as a 9700pro. All it required was a good 9500np and a few minor modifications to the board and a bios flash. And then like a miracle a softmod was made that didn't require any of that!

It's not like this stuff is new....

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

The 980 Ti's are the Titan chips that failed QA. Unlocking the damaged SMs isn't going to be very productive.
      The problem is most chips pass the tests, but the cheap models sell more than the expensive ones. So most of the cheap ones are fully working expensive models that have been artificially cripled.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
        The problem is most chips pass the tests, but the cheap models sell more than the expensive ones. So most of the cheap ones are fully working expensive models that have been artificially cripled.
        You think they're getting high yields on GM200?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          "The headers are derived from the information we use internally."

I wrote about this years ago:

"Nvidia:The secret plan to opensource there proprietary driver 07-16-2013, 08:00 PM"
          If they are going to do that they are doing it in tiny bits and pieces starting with the niggly stuff...the killer stuff like reclocking will most likely come later. The reference headers is another piece but the register programming docs are still so sorely needed

Comment

I wrote about this years ago:
            Now we just waiting for remaining 99.991% of the driver.

Comment

so I am happy that i get some points in my pocket ;-)
              Guys think about it. May be only reason he unbanned is Nvidia lobbyists!

Comment

It sound like more "here is the Tegra stuff, all of our other products are in the mail". This is the same thing we've been hearing for a long time. Is there any reason to believe that more desktop/laptop hardware support will ever actually arrive?

Comment

sure...
                  about my writing 2-3 years ago it is not so easy to detect the exact way
                  they will really go 2-3 years before they already doing it.
                  So you are saying/predicting that it wil take another 2-3 years before the opensource driver is here, do I understand correct?

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
                    Is there any reason to believe that more desktop/laptop hardware support will ever actually arrive?
                    Yeah, they will contribute something for sure in case it's will be needed to make GPU not crash until proprietary driver installation finished.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
                      Mostly because that 980 Ti would suddenly be a much more expensive Titan with everything unlocked.
                      Wow, that's some hilariously confusing wording. What you meant to say was:
                      "Mostly because that 980 Ti, when having everything unlocked, would suddenly become a Titan, which are much more expensive."

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      I certainly remember the r300 launch. It was common for a 9500np to function just fine as a 9700pro. All it required was a good 9500np and a few minor modifications to the board and a bios flash. And then like a miracle a softmod was made that didn't require any of that!

It's not like this stuff is new....
                      Yea, that's how AMD Phenom X3s worked too. You could make them X4s if you were lucky.

Comment

Working...
                      X