Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Patches Under Review To Expose Global Performance Counters

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nouveau Patches Under Review To Expose Global Performance Counters

    Phoronix: Nouveau Patches Under Review To Expose Global Performance Counters

    Samuel Pitoiset has continued on his quest of implementing NVIDIA hardware counters support and exposing it to user-space within the Nouveau open-source driver stack...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...bal-Perf-Count

  • #2
    Is this the silver bullet for not god-awful performance on Nouveau? Should we get excited?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Is this the silver bullet for not god-awful performance on Nouveau? Should we get excited?
      No, it's just a feature that will probably never be used in real life scenarios.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by eydee View Post

        No, it's just a feature that will probably never be used in real life scenarios.
        It makes nouveau useful for game developers... You may never use it, but it's a pretty important selling point.

        Comment


        • #5
          If the AMD devs also implement support for this, it will be a great way to monitor the gallium drivers performance. I think game devs will find it very useful. It's highly like they are already using the official nvidia version of this.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            If the AMD devs also implement support for this, it will be a great way to monitor the gallium drivers performance. I think game devs will find it very useful. It's highly like they are already using the official nvidia version of this.
            Correct. This is a useful feature exactly because it helps to improve the performance of the driver itself. It aids game developers in finding Linux *driver* bottlenecks (which they can then report to the driver developers) because they can compare the measurement results with the Windows equivalent on the same hardware. So contrary to eydee's claim, it is in fact *very* useful in real life scenarios, for game developers and driver developers alike.
            Last edited by Remdul; 09 June 2015, 06:08 AM.

            Comment

            Working...
            X