Red Hat Has Another Developer Now Working On Nouveau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veto View Post
    Does anyone know the reason for RedHats obsession with Nouveau development?
    Without Nouveau things like Wayland couldn't happen. Or at best such projects would be totally gated on Nvidia deciding to support it in their BLOB

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
      Nvidia users have their binary - as Nvidia has decided for them.
      Nvidia provided a obfuscated basic driver from the open source with no major update. Nouveau was made to fill the hole due to the lack of cooperation from Nvidia. Credit goes to the contributors working hard to making nouveau supports many Nvidia GPU as possible despite fewer documentations.
      Red Hat stepped in being a larger FOSS company to support workstation that runs on Nvidia hardware. As usual, their work will benefit all FOSS ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        As to why nouveau and not other GPU drivers? Simple, nouveau needs it.
        Also, Red Hat does in fact have developers working on the FOSS AMD drivers as well, not just nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
          which is weird, but expected from RedHat. Nvidia could easily do that themselves, instead they are pissing at Open Source, Intel do it quite well and AMD respect OpenSource community but we know AMD could use some help. Must be some dirty-broken politics at RedHat.
          That's why you stay away from NVIDIA GPUs like the plague.

Comment

This must be regular Linux forum, jeez. Nvidia is most popular graphics vendor for PC, like it or not. So having open source Nvidia drivers is just not cool, it is a must have. Binary drivers most likely will always provide max performance boost, but having usable out of box drivers is huge benefit for Linux desktop. Yes, I would like to see more people involved in RadeonSI too, but I suspect RedHat already have people working on it.

Comment

I read that some fainbois and other kids have actually quite a problem with grasping that bigger picture (not just here phoronix but worldwide). This why - in my opinion RHEL's politics is dirty-broken: it must not be about the average, Linux + OpenSource are great, the greatest thing today's technological civilization could have received - so you, me, we don't need average drivers and averageness they render. I am not looking to buy a product only so it works (but is fancy) out of box, but I'll (always) buy a product that is great "out of box", while (always) KEEPING in mind "openness of the source". What I'm saying is RedHat to focus on one thing and make it great (together with those who also! want the same (naturally not Nvidia) - don't waste your time on average (particularly when culprits themselves don't give a toss).

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
                I read that some fainbois and other kids have actually quite a problem with grasping that bigger picture (not just here Guest but worldwide). This why - in my opinion RHEL's politics is dirty-broken: it must not be about the average, Linux + OpenSource are great, the greatest thing today's technological civilization could have received - so you, me, we don't need average drivers and averageness they render. I am not looking to buy a product only so it works (but is fancy) out of box, but I'll (always) buy a product that is great "out of box", while (always) KEEPING in mind "openness of the source". What I'm saying is RedHat to focus on one thing and make it great (together with those who also! want the same (naturally not Nvidia) - don't waste your time on average (particularly when culprits themselves don't give a toss).
                "Mr. Madison, what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you ev...

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post

While Hans's addition is very welcome and equally appreciated (thanks RH!), it's a drop in the ocean compared to what's needed to make a reliable driver that seriously competes with nvidia on any level. They have a team of hundreds of developers working with full documentation and errata, with a multi-year head start compared to nouveau.
                  Agree. Non-developers don't understand how much time and effort goes into creating a reliable high performance driver. The Nouveau project has done well to get as far as it has, but browse forums for a couple of hours and you will find hundreds of complaints about Nouveau and Nvidia cards.. It's just very hard to fix all the bugs in something as complicated as a GPU driver, without the support of the manufacturer, and without detailed datasheets.

Comment

I am not to happy with that move, but I understand why they doing this. They want to have nouvou at least so good that its kind of usable with wayland, so Nvidia is forced to support it, else every non-gamer machine will switch away from the nvidia-crap/spyware driver. It would be good to just put Nvidia in a bad position with no GNU/Linux support lets keep them doing their own os NVIDIA and a bit Linux... and let roll the pain to them. Every 1% the amd free driver gets better they pain goes up 1% for them, because they cant run away they are more or less on hardware limit (except the older gpus the put a brake on) so over time the free speed difference between the amd free driver and the nvidia blob will decrease and decrease, but the big advantages of the free driver stays. So a non existence good free driver will hurt their business more and more. So it would be nice to not help them to not get that much hurt. But Redhat will not hurt themselv to hurt nvidia, sadly, but I guess nvidia it self makes shure that the nouvou driver will never get that good with encrypted stuff in the gpu... so I guess this developen cant hurt us to much.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      I am not to happy with that move, but I understand why they doing this. They want to have nouvou at least so good that its kind of usable with wayland, so Nvidia is forced to support it, else every non-gamer machine will switch away from the nvidia-crap/spyware driver. It would be good to just put Nvidia in a bad position with no GNU/Linux support lets keep them doing their own os NVIDIA and a bit Linux... and let roll the pain to them. Every 1% the amd free driver gets better they pain goes up 1% for them, because they cant run away they are more or less on hardware limit (except the older gpus the put a brake on) so over time the free speed difference between the amd free driver and the nvidia blob will decrease and decrease, but the big advantages of the free driver stays. So a non existence good free driver will hurt their business more and more. So it would be nice to not help them to not get that much hurt. But Redhat will not hurt themselv to hurt nvidia, sadly, but I guess nvidia it self makes shure that the nouvou driver will never get that good with encrypted stuff in the gpu... so I guess this developen cant hurt us to much.
                      Linux users are still a relatively small market share. I doubt the lack of good open-source drivers for NVidia would hurt them one bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X