Nouveau: NVIDIA's New Hardware Is "VERY Open-Source Unfriendly"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    Pick your poison... great drivers with open-source unfriendly hardware or the exact opposite with AMD.

AMD graphics drivers are barely acceptable and still are subpar for OpenGL, even on Windows, since Fglrx and AMD Windows Catalyst drivers are about the same for OpenGL performance.

Also how many Nvidia driver releases has there been since even a single stable release from AMD? I'm still waiting for an official 15.3 driver.
    Just switch to Ubuntu. The 15.04 final beta is blazing fast and rock solid so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      To AMD lovers: AMD drivers still require on proprietary firmware (no source code) to function (deliver 3D acceleration, perform power management, decode videos). This is why they don't work in deblobbed kernels.
      Yeap, which is why on hardware that doesn't require anything special, it's Intel all the way. But when you do need to run something even slightly graphics intensive, well...

Originally posted by elect View Post
      Unity bar disappearing? Im so glad I solved, you need to install DKMS
      Uh, no, I'm on openSUSE. There's no such thing as DKMS as far as I'm concerned; I need to reinstall the driver manually after each kernel update. If I don't, X doesn't start and that's that.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        My current system uses an NVIDIA GTX 660, which is fast and all, but tears like mad with proprietary drivers (among all the other inconveniences, like breaking each kernel update)
        There are ways to remove tearing, including using Compton. I?ve never had tearing on my GTX 660 with the blob. Also no problem with kernel updates, but I?m on Arch and I think the maintainers take care of any issue related to that.

Comment

Boycott locked hardware

If Nvidia is locking cards and refusing to distribute the signed blobs, the counter is the same as for "boot guard" motherboards locked to Secure Boot: refuse to buy them and make sure your vendors know why you are rejecting these products, Buy a competitor or buy used. It's going to be a long time before you cannot get a decent unlocked AMD motherboard and either r600 or GCN card used. For most Linux use even Nouveau w/o reclocking on the smallest unlocked Nvidia card bought used will handle any desktop, even Cinnamon or gnome-shell. Most linux games cannot fully load existiing AMD hardware on open drivers, meaning even if the AMD driver is slower than Nvidia's (even on Windows) this has no effect on usages and workloads that do not involve paid games or other paid products.

If you use no application or game blobs, and no payware of any kind, existing AMD drivers and hardware are all you will ever need. Hell, even though bulldozer is a hell of a video editing chip, about 30% faster thab Phenom II x4, I probably should have stayed with the Phenom because it was good enough. Why do you think so many offices keep their Core 2 stuff?

Comment

Yeap, which is why on hardware that doesn't require anything special, it's Intel all the way. But when you do need to run something even slightly graphics intensive, well...

Uh, no, I'm on openSUSE. There's no such thing as DKMS as far as I'm concerned; I need to reinstall the driver manually after each kernel update. If I don't, X doesn't start and that's that.
            Do you know you can ask nvidia's driver installer to only recompile the kernel module?,
            e.g. you run as root
            Code:
            sh NVIDIA-Linux-blahblah.run -K

Comment

Shocking. Who could have ever guessed this was coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                Hah, on Windows maybe. Linux is only just beginning to get games where performance is a serious concern. Non-performance related factors on Linux are much more evident and less overlookable as a result.
                yes, if you mean those users who have a last generation pc, for all the others they do matter

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Shocking. Who could have ever guessed this was coming.
                lmao

Comment

Uh, no, I'm on openSUSE. There's no such thing as DKMS as far as I'm concerned;

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    Performance is only one factor. In pretty much every other factor the Radeon driver is better than Catalyst or the Nvidia binary. It's nice to not have to deal with things like really nasty obvious tearing.
                    You mean, things like stability, standard conformance?(OpenGL 4 anyone?)

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                      You mean, things like stability, standard conformance?(OpenGL 4 anyone?)
                      nVidia's opengl implementation on linux is definitely not standard compliant. It is a fast and stable implementation, but it isn't compliant with standards.

Comment

Working...
                      X