Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau: NVIDIA's New Hardware Is "VERY Open-Source Unfriendly"

Phoronix: Nouveau: NVIDIA's New Hardware Is "VERY Open-Source Unfriendly"

While NVIDIA's new GeForce GTX 900 series is dominating for Linux gamers with excellent performance with their $1000+ GPU as well as great Linux OpenGL/OpenCL performance out of their lower-cost GPUs with excellent power efficiency, that's only when using the proprietary driver... NVIDIA's newer GTX 900 / Maxwell hardware is less open-source friendly than their previous generations of hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fucking assholes
    I hope they rot in hell

Comment

FU nvidia!

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
        Don't like it, don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you
        You are right. I already change to AMD.

Comment

I guess at the end Linus wasnt that wrong..

Originally posted by siavashserver
          Don't like it, don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you
          Nes (no+yes)

On one side I agree, on another one Nvidia proprietary drivers perform (unfortunately) much better than Amd ones..

Comment

Originally posted by elect View Post
            Nes (no+yes)

On one side I agree, on another one Nvidia proprietary drivers perform (unfortunately) much better than Amd ones..
            Because people stuff them with money. If people bought AMD and ignored nvidia, AMD had money for developing good drivers and nvidia didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by elect View Post
              I guess at the end Linus wasnt that wrong..

Nes (no+yes)

Performance is only one factor. In pretty much every other factor the Radeon driver is better than Catalyst or the Nvidia binary. It's nice to not have to deal with things like really nasty obvious tearing.

Comment

Well, this is probably more of a tempest in a teapot and NVIDIA will eventually stop being lazy and send over the firmware. Though their motivation is indeed pretty odd...

But personally, yea, I'm going to use AMD regardless now. My first system used a Radeon HD 4890, which was decent, but at the time had two drivers and neither were quite satisfactory (nowadays r600g works perfectly for it, but the hardware is too slow for games). My current system uses an NVIDIA GTX 660, which is fast and all, but tears like mad with proprietary drivers (among all the other inconveniences, like breaking each kernel update) and randomly locks up with Nouveau. So it was nice to look around, but I'm going right back to AMD now, thank you very much...

Comment

Pick your poison... great drivers with open-source unfriendly hardware or the exact opposite with AMD.

AMD graphics drivers are barely acceptable and still are subpar for OpenGL, even on Windows, since Fglrx and AMD Windows Catalyst drivers are about the same for OpenGL performance.

Also how many Nvidia driver releases has there been since even a single stable release from AMD? I'm still waiting for an official 15.3 driver.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Because people stuff them with money. If people bought AMD and ignored nvidia, AMD had money for developing good drivers and nvidia didn't.
                    I doubt that would help at all. If the whole Linux community bought AMD GPU's regardless whether there are good drivers, there wouldn't be any incentive for AMD to improve the drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X