No announcement yet.

Intel's Open-Source Graphics Team Poaches A Top Nouveau Driver Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't get too excited guys, the job is not entirely well-defined at the moment. The idea is to look into the performance and power-management of the entire graphics stack. My current work is to get up to speed on mesa by implementing a GL extension. Nothing too fancy.

As for the performance being good-enough, my answer would be that it never is and there is a big performance gap with the competition so we definitely have room for improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
      My current work is to get up to speed on mesa by implementing a GL extension. Nothing too fancy.
      What do you mean it's nothing too fancy? GL extensions are what make GL4 compliance possible

Comment

Don't get too excited guys, the job is not entirely well-defined at the moment. The idea is to look into the performance and power-management of the entire graphics stack. My current work is to get up to speed on mesa by implementing a GL extension. Nothing too fancy.

As for the performance being good-enough, my answer would be that it never is and there is a big performance gap with the competition so we definitely have room for improvement.
        All GL extensions are fancy, Martin
        I don't know you can fix performance gap with AMD or nvidia, though. I hope they don't move you to HW engineering
        Any comment on Intel + TGSI, appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
          I hope they don't move you to HW engineering
          I don't know Martin's background but being myself an Electronic Engineer I can tell you HW engineering is a completely different beast which requires a completely different course of study, so I doubt it.
          Good job Martin, I'm happy to know one more Intel guy is of the gallium crew now
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Michael, what is the point of me taking the time to write a blog article if no-one reads it You could also have asked me directly too

Anyway, thanks to Dungeon, you have the link to the blog article which should have all the information in it
            Just saw it now :/ Only to just realize you're surprisingly not in the planet.freedesktop.org as to how I must have missed it.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Just saw it now :/ Only to just realize you're surprisingly not in the planet.freedesktop.org as to how I must have missed it.
              Fair point! I should probably ask for it

Comment

I'm not using a linux system with nouveau that I really care about at the moment, but I am a little concerned about what will happen to nouveau. That project needs all the help it can get so something like this is a pretty big blow to it. But, Intel's graphics (and mesa for that matter) could also use help, so at least the talent will still be put to good use.

Comment

Well, it's still good news. I too would still like to see nouveau gain more devs, not lose them. But, at least you're work stays somewhere on the graphics stack. Plus, Intel is the driving force behind implementing gl specs, so the more the better.

Comment

Interviewer: Do you have experience implementing features using engineering documentation?
                    Martin: What's this doc-u-men-tation you speak of?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      What do you mean it's nothing too fancy? GL extensions are what make GL4 compliance possible
                      Well, as long as they're part of the GL 4 spec that is..

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Well, it's still good news. I too would still like to see nouveau gain more devs, not lose them. But, at least you're work stays somewhere on the graphics stack. Plus, Intel is the driving force behind implementing gl specs, so the more the better.
                      Well technically since he's going to continue working on Noveau in his free time, and he just gained more free time than before, it should have a positive effect on his Noveau work.

Comment

Working...
                      X