Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schmidtbag
    replied
    I'm not using a linux system with nouveau that I really care about at the moment, but I am a little concerned about what will happen to nouveau. That project needs all the help it can get so something like this is a pretty big blow to it. But, Intel's graphics (and mesa for that matter) could also use help, so at least the talent will still be put to good use.

Leave a comment:

• MuPuF
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Just saw it now :/ Only to just realize you're surprisingly not in the planet.freedesktop.org as to how I must have missed it.
    Fair point! I should probably ask for it

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
    Michael, what is the point of me taking the time to write a blog article if no-one reads it You could also have asked me directly too

Anyway, thanks to Dungeon, you have the link to the blog article which should have all the information in it
    Just saw it now :/ Only to just realize you're surprisingly not in the planet.freedesktop.org as to how I must have missed it.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by Drago View Post
    I hope they don't move you to HW engineering
    I don't know Martin's background but being myself an Electronic Engineer I can tell you HW engineering is a completely different beast which requires a completely different course of study, so I doubt it.
    Good job Martin, I'm happy to know one more Intel guy is of the gallium crew now

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Don't get too excited guys, the job is not entirely well-defined at the moment. The idea is to look into the performance and power-management of the entire graphics stack. My current work is to get up to speed on mesa by implementing a GL extension. Nothing too fancy.

As for the performance being good-enough, my answer would be that it never is and there is a big performance gap with the competition so we definitely have room for improvement.
    All GL extensions are fancy, Martin
    I don't know you can fix performance gap with AMD or nvidia, though. I hope they don't move you to HW engineering
    Any comment on Intel + TGSI, appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    My current work is to get up to speed on mesa by implementing a GL extension. Nothing too fancy.
    What do you mean it's nothing too fancy? GL extensions are what make GL4 compliance possible

Leave a comment:

• MuPuF
    replied
    Don't get too excited guys, the job is not entirely well-defined at the moment. The idea is to look into the performance and power-management of the entire graphics stack. My current work is to get up to speed on mesa by implementing a GL extension. Nothing too fancy.

As for the performance being good-enough, my answer would be that it never is and there is a big performance gap with the competition so we definitely have room for improvement.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    I did read your blog article :P
    I thought that Intel FOSS drivers are performant enough. So what you will be actually doing there. Maybe some core Mesa work? Or may be some push to use Gallium3D
    He will probably try to fit 5 kilos of potatoes in 1.33 kilos bag

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    I did read your blog article :P
    I thought that Intel FOSS drivers are performant enough. So what you will be actually doing there. Maybe some core Mesa work? Or may be some push to use Gallium3D
    Probably bug fixing. the Intel drivers on Linux generally work out of the box but with every new hardware release they often have problems that take several kernel releases to fix. Remember how semaphores were disabled by default for quite some time before Intel was comfortable with having them enabled as their default behavior.

As for Gallium on Intel, there's always LunarG. But i have not heard much about them for a while.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    While reading the article I was thinking "Hmm, who's that person..." and it turns out it's MuPuF. Why didn't you just say so, Michael

Well, good job. Though who's going to answer all kinds of Nouveau questions now...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X