Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiXIDeA View Post
    Where is my Optimus support?
    In my experience is when you will contribute a patch to Nouveau. Or easier for you, to pay a developer to look into the issue. No stress from your side, but all the rest will work smooth

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
      So much truth, but baby steps are the norm with NVIDIA. I sure do hope they give a gift of reclocking patches for Nouveau for their GeForce 6,7,8,9 series cards so that I can carry on once the official legacy driver for these card series eventually is no longer supported.
      Why would they do that? It's not in the best interest of Nvidia's bottom-line. You'll just have to keep buying new cards, after all their blob just works and that's all that matters to most.
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Of course nothing for people with video cards, only some code for some exotic chips no one uses. The way it's meant to be played...
        Yes nobody uses Tegra... oh wait, they do. It's in a LOT of phones and an increasing number of mobile computers running ARM. Be thankful. It's not like they have to do it or should even be expected to, nor is it easier to do it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
          Yes nobody uses Tegra... oh wait, they do. It's in a LOT of phones and an increasing number of mobile computers running ARM. Be thankful. It's not like they have to do it or should even be expected to, nor is it easier to do it that way.
          Well, I'm old fashioned and still believe in computers, and think phones are meant for making a phone call...

(Does android really use noveau or are we talking about the still non-existent ubuntu phones?)

Comment

Well, I'm old fashioned and still believe in computers, and think phones are meant for making a phone call...

(Does android really use noveau or are we talking about the still non-existent ubuntu phones?)
            Still non existing phones in general. It's no secret that Tegra isn't doing as well as Nvidia had hoped. There's a reason that Nvidia is suing Samsung and Qualcomm, but I doubt it's about anything actually stolen by them. Samsung and Qualcomm are just huge and own the majority of the Android market. But Qualcomm is just a juggernaut, and Nvidia ain't too happy about competition.

Comment

what are you dreaming Ubutu-phone-droid will not ship ever with free grafics drivers, at least not with nvidia gpus, maybe one day (say never never) with intel gpu but even that ship sank for me, when I noticed that even intel-tablets with baytrail come with linux-incompatible 32bit uefi. Wintel forever.

No they will use the android nvidia blobs with this ndiswrapper-loader-thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                when I noticed that even intel-tablets with baytrail come with linux-incompatible 32bit uefi.
                It is very much compatible. Distros don't ship 32bit UEFI loaders on their LiveUSBs, so you have to roll your own, but then it's no problem getting Linux to run. Arch even has 32bit loaders in its repositories, which makes this quite easy. I know this first hand, next to me right now is a Baytrail (Pentium N3510) laptop with 32bit UEFI, and I have a custom LiveUSB that boots on it without issues.

Also, things are changing, I thought my Baytrail netbook will have 32bit UEFI, but it turned out it's 64bit! So 32bit UEFI might be a thing of the past, it's only current generation tablets that still have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  Still non existing phones in general. It's no secret that Tegra isn't doing as well as Nvidia had hoped. There's a reason that Nvidia is suing Samsung and Qualcomm, but I doubt it's about anything actually stolen by them. Samsung and Qualcomm are just huge and own the majority of the Android market. But Qualcomm is just a juggernaut, and Nvidia ain't too happy about competition.
                  What are you talking about? I can very literally go to the nearest Best Buy (if you're not American, it's a very common electronics retailer) and buy a computer (Chromebook) with NVIDIA Tegra in it. Additionally, phones are very much computers these days. The Nexus 9, the flagship Nexus phone that sells like hotcakes uses Tegra. I think Tegra is doing fine. Stop making bullshit up.

Comment

Gka20a?

"GKA20A" huh, what is this?

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                      It is very much compatible. Distros don't ship 32bit UEFI loaders on their LiveUSBs, so you have to roll your own, but then it's no problem getting Linux to run. Arch even has 32bit loaders in its repositories, which makes this quite easy. I know this first hand, next to me right now is a Baytrail (Pentium N3510) laptop with 32bit UEFI, and I have a custom LiveUSB that boots on it without issues.

Also, things are changing, I thought my Baytrail netbook will have 32bit UEFI, but it turned out it's 64bit! So 32bit UEFI might be a thing of the past, it's only current generation tablets that still have it.
                      I know that its possible, but if you have such a noobwall so that only 1% of the normal linux-user base will install linux onto it the support for the hardware gets even slower better, because then u dont have bugreports in the right amount etc.

and its no trivial thing, when I looked there were nowhere tutorials how you do it, there were only forum sites with the information with several steps on several pages splited. no 1-10 points where you just can copy the commands needed.

So how difficult it is you cant know because you did not have to do it, because you had 64bit uefi.

In the end I skipped highres laptop and found a refurbished thinkpad with a docking station so its now my new basemachine this baytrail atom things would been only a secondary maschine, and bought instead a cheap tablet.

And I am happy if intel gets their shit togehter in the future, but with baytrail tablets+docks uefi wasnt the only problem just the thing that was to much then... having problems with resolutions/batlife/input... I just dont trutst that this will work out fast if the laptop NEVER boots a normal linux(installer) And I dont want to be forced to use a special linux or have to invest much time if I want to install another. For fedora there was not even a post anywhere how they got that installer bootet at all.

And there is just no reason except dumbness or that they get payed from microsoft doing that, that they not included a 64bit uefi on this 64bit processors, I just never seen such stupid move. Whats next removing 4+x gb ram support from a 64bit prozessor?

And if you think I am a conspirity theorist, Ive seen emails proving companies did talk about how they include damaged acpi tables for non-windows oses, but of couse they had a good reason to do so, or this mails are all fake...
                      Last edited by blackiwid; 25 December 2014, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X