X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTown
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    The important difference is Palestinians afaik aren't prevented from leaving but more encouraged to do it. Hence more about imperialistic colonization, less about concentration camps.
    It's not that easy. Look at this article from a Jewish website (to avoid a pro-Palestinian bias). Even the one free sentence explains it all. One must sneak out of Gaza. Also, those going to Europe never had a 100% chance to find a home there.

'It’s better to die at sea than to die of despair and frustration in Gaza,’ says resident of Strip.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by CTown View Post
    I get what you are saying. It's terrible how these tech companies get away with these crimes overseas. It's also unfortuante how much the tech community is involved in lobbying. Still, I'm saying I have no idea what contenders in the ultrabook (or ultrathin) class use AMD (not looking for a superior product but a product).

Also, what type of electronics can someone who avoids Foxconn buy?

I hear you on that. In fact, I have even met people who claim that the holocaust was exaggerated; without documentation. Also, you can't keep people concentrated in one area with virtually no resources and not call it an concentration camp... that's a terrible use of semantics. Not to mention that thousands of people are wiped out every now and then. Unfortunately, I doubt the two-state solution. Israel wants to mold the identity of the West Bank using its settlements... I don't even want to point out the effect that can have.
    The important difference is Palestinians afaik aren't prevented from leaving but more encouraged to do it. Hence more about imperialistic colonization, less about concentration camps.

Leave a comment:

• CTown
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke View Post
    I can't stand Apple's association with Foxconn (home of worker suicides at their mainland China plant), their dedication to closed ecosystems, or their pricing. As such, it does not matter to me if an Apple product is technically superior to what I am considering, as the Apple product essentially does not exist to me. My only laptops have been tiny netbooks chosen for low price and light weight, and at the time AMD did not have anything in that market. Now they do, at a moderate price penalty but better performance. The only Intel desktops I have worked with have been random source used ones given to me/belonging to friends/from the dumpster. Any new desktop stuff has always been AMD.
    I get what you are saying. It's terrible how these tech companies get away with these crimes overseas. It's also unfortuante how much the tech community is involved in lobbying. Still, I'm saying I have no idea what contenders in the ultrabook (or ultrathin) class use AMD (not looking for a superior product but a product).

Also, what type of electronics can someone who avoids Foxconn buy?

Originally posted by liam View Post
    Plenty of folks say the holocaust didn't happen (or wasn't as bad as the many, many, many first-hand accounts have said).
    To call Gaza a "concentration camp" is to render that phrase meaningless.
    Just to curtail any further digressions, I believe that a two-state solution is the only ethical solution. That, and probably reparations for the Palastinian's displacement.
    I hear you on that. In fact, I have even met people who claim that the holocaust was exaggerated; without documentation. Also, you can't keep people concentrated in one area with virtually no resources and not call it an concentration camp... that's a terrible use of semantics. Not to mention that thousands of people are wiped out every now and then. Unfortunately, I doubt the two-state solution. Israel wants to mold the identity of the West Bank using its settlements... I don't even want to point out the effect that can have.

Leave a comment:

• DMJC
    replied
    I can't stand Apple's association with Foxconn (home of worker suicides at their mainland China plant), their dedication to closed ecosystems, or their pricing. As such, it does not matter to me if an Apple product is technically superior to what I am considering, as the Apple product essentially does not exist to me. My only laptops have been tiny netbooks chosen for low price and light weight, and at the time AMD did not have anything in that market. Now they do, at a moderate price penalty but better performance. The only Intel desktops I have worked with have been random source used ones given to me/belonging to friends/from the dumpster. Any new desktop stuff has always been AMD.
    You realise that Foxconn manufacture most of the motherboards in the world right? Not just Intel, not just Apple.... They manufacture for everyone because they offer the cheapest workers, and they keep their name off the products they make.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    IPlenty of people say Israel turned the Gaza Strip into the current largest concentration camp in the world.
    Plenty of folks say the holocaust didn't happen (or wasn't as bad as the many, many, many first-hand accounts have said).
    To call Gaza a "concentration camp" is to render that phrase meaningless.
    Just to curtail any further digressions, I believe that a two-state solution is the only ethical solution. That, and probably reparations for the Palastinian's displacement.

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    I would not consider Apple under any circumstances

Seems like we agree on plenty of things. To bad AMD never got popular in the thin notebook market. I don't even know what AMD-based product is in the same league as the retina Macbook Pro (good battery life, decent performance, hi-res screen, price seems less than identical Windows 8 competitors).

Printing a CPU at home; that sounds AWESOME!

Also, I'm glad NVIDIA gave Nouveau the heads up on this one. Though, it's unfortunate that when one part of hardware opens up (the booting process thanks to Coreboot) another closes.

Leave a comment:

• CTown
    replied
    You are NOT kidding! Meatspace freedom and equality are both far more important-and are a major part of what I use free software to do. In fact, as an anticapitalist I use the entire FOSS community as a model of economics applicable to any activity not involving resource scarcity. To put is another way: if someone steals my bike, it's the fact that it is no longer available for me to ride that is problematic, not the fact that they now have a bike. Someone sitting next to my bike furiously building a clone with their own parts I would have no right to complain about-even if I were a first-ranked racer, which I am not,

Intel will give software freedom with one hand and destroy hardware freedom with the other, and for years has been considered among the more severe corporate offenders. Involvement with Israeli occupation is bad enough, I know a LOT of people who prefer AMD even in used hardware for that one reason. The cooperation between a great many major tech companies and the makers of things like facial recognition cameras, speed cameras, and data mining systems is another issue that affects everyone who lives where there is electricity. Also, I'm sure Intel helped George W Bush and his predecessors and sucessors get a lot of war toys.

It's too bad a 3-d printer can't fab a computer chip, that would solve a LOT of problems-given those, making boards would not be soo difficult and it woul be awful hard to hide backdoors on a "dumb board" that came with only the copper traces and sockets, ready to have ALL the chips added to it. Any fab process at the Pentium level (500nm) would be enough to make this useful for a basic websurfing machine in the 10-20W range.
    Seems like we agree on plenty of things. To bad AMD never got popular in the thin notebook market. I don't even know what AMD-based product is in the same league as the retina Macbook Pro (good battery life, decent performance, hi-res screen, price seems less than identical Windows 8 competitors).

Printing a CPU at home; that sounds AWESOME!

Also, I'm glad NVIDIA gave Nouveau the heads up on this one. Though, it's unfortunate that when one part of hardware opens up (the booting process thanks to Coreboot) another closes.

Leave a comment:

• MartinN
    replied
    Originally posted by vivo View Post
    Just before reading this article, I was thinking about replacing my 770 with a 970.
    I guess I will have to wait and see. If I don't like what I see, AMD here I come.
    or buy a pc/laptop with intel iris hd graphics.. unless you demand some extreme FPS in high res of games you play, Intel Iris will play most games.

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    Indeed-software freedom is only one part of the picture

I'm sorry to take the ambiguity of your post and mention politics on this site but you probably meant software freedom. For instance, Intel used under handed tricks to try to run their only competitor out of the market. Another example, Intel pumps a lot of money into Israel. Plenty of people say Israel turned the Gaza Strip into the current largest concentration camp in the world. So, besides the fact Intel makes relatively weak GPUs to AMD or NVIDIA, there are other reasons to avoid Intel.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0HH1F720140922
    You are NOT kidding! Meatspace freedom and equality are both far more important-and are a major part of what I use free software to do. In fact, as an anticapitalist I use the entire FOSS community as a model of economics applicable to any activity not involving resource scarcity. To put is another way: if someone steals my bike, it's the fact that it is no longer available for me to ride that is problematic, not the fact that they now have a bike. Someone sitting next to my bike furiously building a clone with their own parts I would have no right to complain about-even if I were a first-ranked racer, which I am not,

Intel will give software freedom with one hand and destroy hardware freedom with the other, and for years has been considered among the more severe corporate offenders. Involvement with Israeli occupation is bad enough, I know a LOT of people who prefer AMD even in used hardware for that one reason. The cooperation between a great many major tech companies and the makers of things like facial recognition cameras, speed cameras, and data mining systems is another issue that affects everyone who lives where there is electricity. Also, I'm sure Intel helped George W Bush and his predecessors and sucessors get a lot of war toys.

It's too bad a 3-d printer can't fab a computer chip, that would solve a LOT of problems-given those, making boards would not be soo difficult and it woul be awful hard to hide backdoors on a "dumb board" that came with only the copper traces and sockets, ready to have ALL the chips added to it. Any fab process at the Pentium level (500nm) would be enough to make this useful for a basic websurfing machine in the 10-20W range.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
    Well, NVIDIA could just sign firmware images developed by Nouveau.

EDIT: On the other hand, it is very kind of NVIDIA that it does allow loading independent firmware images, albeit with slightly reduced capabilities.
    It could just lock the whole platform down.
    My hunch is they only lock down DRM

Leave a comment:

Working...
X