Nouveau Turns Into A Mess In Latest Linux 3.17 + Mesa 10.3-dev Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Turns Into A Mess In Latest Linux 3.17 + Mesa 10.3-dev Tests

Phoronix: Nouveau Turns Into A Mess In Latest Linux 3.17 + Mesa 10.3-dev Tests

This week I've been running a large open-source graphics card comparison using Mesa 10.3-devel and Linux 3.17 from Git. While the intentions were nice with featuring Intel/NVIDIA/AMD graphics, running several benchmarks of Steam / Source Engine games on Linux, and also measuring the power efficiency and thermal performance, the testing was cut short when it came to the Nouveau driver testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Might want to check it with a clean mesa build rather than with the gallium-nine patches on top (which also modify drivers). I haven't heard of any such issues until now.

Comment

nouveau driver and 3.17

currently using Fedora Rawhide, which means kernel 3.17 and mesa 10.4, and i did not have such problems. gnome 3.13.90 runs smoother than ever and nouveau quite decent when it comes to 3d stuff as well.

my only "issue" with the driver at its current state, is the lack of reclocking for core and memory, as i am stuck on the "medium" setting, instead of being able to switch to "high" when needed

just for the record, i have a nehalem i7 920 and a GTX295

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
        Might want to check it with a clean mesa build rather than with the gallium-nine patches on top (which also modify drivers). I haven't heard of any such issues until now.
        since now, only reported issue is with patch "gallium/nv50/nvc0: use API settings / rasterization rules". These issues is only some wrong colors in OGL mode https://github.com/iXit/Mesa-3D/issues/4 .

Comment

Btw Smekras, have you been able to test DRI3 Buffer Offloading on your dual-gpu card? Does it work?

Comment

Not sure if its the same problem, but I have had a similar corruption problem on KDE with oibaf's 10.4~git1408251930.83503f+gallium-nine~gd~t mesa version. I have just upgraded to 10.4~git1408260730.018875+gallium-nine~gd~t and the problem is gone.

Comment

Lol, can't wait to see mesa bug tracker being spammed by gallium-nine users. It's not like they had enough to do anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin
                Originally posted by log0 View Post
                Lol, can't wait to see mesa bug tracker being spammed by gallium-nine users. It's not like they had enough to do anyway.
                I doubt Gallium Nine would cause any kind of issues with the driver itself. I was under the assumption that software is programmed in a modular fashion, with Gallium being rather modular itself. Therefore, Gallium Nine code would only get called when Gallium Nine is actually being used by software -- aka a Gallium Nine-patched wine.

Comment

Originally posted by werfu View Post
                  Btw Smekras, have you been able to test DRI3 Buffer Offloading on your dual-gpu card? Does it work?
                  can't say that i have... or that i know how to, really. would appreciate pointers

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                    I doubt Gallium Nine would cause any kind of issues with the driver itself. I was under the assumption that software is programmed in a modular fashion, with Gallium being rather modular itself. Therefore, Gallium Nine code would only get called when Gallium Nine is actually being used by software -- aka a Gallium Nine-patched wine.
                    All Radeons patches are in Mesa, but we have some patches touching Nouveau. At this moment I dropped some controversial patches, so "if" (I had only reported some vertical inverted screen for some games and wrong colors for one) is it caused by this, after next release of oibaf Mesa it should be gone

Comment

Working...
                    X