No announcement yet.

Even With Re-Clocking, Nouveau Remains Behind NVIDIA's Proprietary Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even With Re-Clocking, Nouveau Remains Behind NVIDIA's Proprietary Linux Driver

Phoronix: Even With Re-Clocking, Nouveau Remains Behind NVIDIA's Proprietary Linux Driver

Starting out the last week of July's Linux benchmarking on Phoronix is a fresh comparison of several NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards when comparing the performance of the latest open-source Nouveau driver against the latest NVIDIA proprietary Linux graphics driver. While the Kepler cards now support GPU re-clocking, the results aren't quite ideal yet.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would consider the GTX 650 the gold standard for what the Nouveau drivers could do, which is pretty decent. Consider that Nvidia is the only driver to come close or even beat it's Windows driver, that's pretty impressive on Nouveau's part. Intel and AMD are still behind their Windows driver, and AMD's open source drivers are behind Catalyst, although that gap is closing.

If Nouveau got the DX9 state tracker, I could see a lot of people wanting to use that driver over Nvidia binary. Given that reclocking works fully on most graphic cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      Given that reclocking works fully on most graphic cards.
      So we all wish, but that's far from true!

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Intel and AMD are still behind their Windows driver, and AMD's open source drivers are behind Catalyst, although that gap is closing.
        I can assure you that a HD4890 is better and faster with open source drivers than it ever was with the fglrx.
        The only reason that I put an R9 270 into my rig is that it seems that anything above the HD62xx should have stereoscopic opengl on hdmi out according to amd persons on the amd dev forum.
        I haven't tested it, since I need to move my rig to the 3D TV for that.

Anyway: if it wasn't for that I still would be using my HD4890, since the 2D on the opensource drivers runs circles around the fglrx version.

Comment

Nouveau Remains Behind NVIDIA's Proprietary Linux Driver
          yes Michael did u really think there would be a change at all that it could reach the speed of the proprietary driver?
          If so I guess this blackbox driver devolpers would get offers from 100 companies with 100x salaries of the other driver developers.
          Or was u just to lazy to think of a good headline or is it a good headline for google search terms so u dont care if it makes sense.

Lol. I should publish blog posts with the title, "tomorow the sun rises". its kind of true, even technicaly its more like our part of the planet rotating to the sun but... dont be to accurate here
          Last edited by blackiwid; 28 July 2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
            I can assure you that a HD4890 is better and faster with open source drivers than it ever was with the fglrx.
            The only reason that I put an R9 270 into my rig is that it seems that anything above the HD62xx should have stereoscopic opengl on hdmi out according to amd persons on the amd dev forum.

Anyway: if it wasn't for that I still would be using my HD4890, since the 2D on the opensource drivers runs circles around the fglrx version.
            I personally use open source for my Radeon graphic cards for the same reason. Then again, I don't own a GCN based Radeon card. Those seem to suffer compared to Catalyst. For my Nvidia cards I do use binary drivers. I feel bad for doing so.

Comment

normal

Originally posted by Ardje View Post

hd4890 is no longer support for fglrx, almost two years without driver

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                yes Michael did u really think there would be a change at all that it could reach the speed of the proprietary driver?
                If so I guess this blackbox driver devolpers would get offers from 100 companies with 100x salaries of the other driver developers.
                Or was u just to lazy to think of a good headline or is it a good headline for google search terms so u dont care if it makes sense.

Lol. I should publish blog posts with the title, "tomorow the sun rises". its kind of true, even technicaly its more like our part of the planet rotating to the sun but... dont be to accurate here
                well you had something a bit wrong here, FOSS drivers development is not actual driver development but whole stack development and is done by with 1/10th of AMD catalyst developers(which is probably half of the nVidia team) and even so it almost reach constant 60% of the blob speed(gtx650) or even more(AMD ,Intel, freedreno), if you ask me that on itself show just how amazing those FOSS developers are(specially nouveau/freedreno devs that reach this only with reverse engineering)

Comment

yes

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  well you had something a bit wrong here, FOSS drivers development is not actual driver development but whole stack development and is done by with 1/10th of AMD catalyst developers(which is probably half of the nVidia team) and even so it almost reach constant 60% of the blob speed(gtx650) or even more(AMD ,Intel, freedreno), if you ask me that on itself show just how amazing those FOSS developers are(specially nouveau/freedreno devs that reach this only with reverse engineering)
                  i agree with you, but we need to wait until they are usable for games and powersave in laptops ,more likely one more year for nouveau.

i say again here AMD GIVE UP FROM YOUR FGLRX

Comment

Tesseract is rather CPU-bottlenecked, but for the Kepler GPUs on the Nouveau driver is able to run close to the same speed between drivers.
                    /maxfps 0

Thank you.

It's quite lightweight to the CPU, you should be able to reach at least 300 FPS before reaching a CPU bottleneck.

Comment

Working...
                    X