No announcement yet.

Nouveau Re-Clocking Is Way Faster, Shows Much Progress For Open-Source NVIDIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both vendors' open source drivers are progressing nicely. I can't wait for the day when we can ignore the proprietary ones for most scenarios, or even all scenarios!

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      Both vendors' open source drivers are progressing nicely. I can't wait for the day when we can ignore the proprietary ones for most scenarios, or even all scenarios!
      Please, Nvidia has absolutely no interest in open source. The Nouveau team has to reverse engineer everything from a black box. AMD and Intel have real open source video driver programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        Please, Nvidia has absolutely no interest in open source. The Nouveau team has to reverse engineer everything from a black box. AMD and Intel have real open source video driver programs.
        That isn't completely true.

They do help the Linux kernel developers for the mobile Nvidia chip (which is where Nvidia doesn't have a large market share).

Comment

Originally posted by Lennie View Post
          That isn't completely true.

They do help the Linux kernel developers for the mobile Nvidia chip (which is where Nvidia doesn't have a large market share).
          Only as much as is necessary to get their ARM based Tegra SoCs to run Android.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            I know. But they are still progressing nicely? It's very impressive when it is all reverse engineering too.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
              If everything in the following page's chart is checked off as "Done" then would dynamic power management be finished or would enabling dynamic power management be a separate task for after it's done?

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/PowerManagement/
              Probably depends on what you want. If nothing else, once you can switch power levels reliably you can always run some trivial daemon to detect when a GPU-heavy process (like a game) is being started/stopped and bump up/down the power levels accordingly.

Once they also have performance monitoring for the GPU, and know its load, if of course gets much easier, and I'd expect the driver does it then.

Comment

I wonder how much of the interest in Nouveau is because its an uphill fight against Nvidia every step of the way. I can't really comprehend how the Nouveau project is as far along as they are - I realize that Nouveau (plus Lima, Freedreno, etc) all piggyback off AMD's Gallium work, who then piggy backs off a lot of Intel work in core Mesa, but the fact that Nouveau is looking to trade blows with RadeonSI while being a reverse engineering project with volunteer devs is amazing.

Maybe AMD shoots themselves in the foot by providing programming manuals, deep technical documentation, and paid developers. Maybe they should release a card as a proprietary black box for a year just to attract hardware hackers to break it open and do most of the work...

The largest contribution from AMD has to be Gallium in general though. The results speak for them selves - almost all the ARM reverse engineered drivers and any new GPU use it. I hope Google is punching themselves in the face for not adopting it in their graphics stack rather than the backwards awful proprietary blobs they have going on in Android.

Comment

I've got nothing against the nouveau devs you're all doing an awesome job with what you're having to put up with.

However...

What is with these people who think that performance is the only real metric you should be judging a GPU driver by and as a result are trying to compare it favorably to radeon. I'm sorry but no, nouveau is nowhere near radeonSI unless something has changed. it's still something of a craps shoot to see if your card will work with nouveau, whereas it's the rare card that doesn't work with radeonSI. Nouveau still doesn't have full dynamic power management, which by itself means that I can't suggest for people to use Nouveau as a daily driver, radeonSI does and thus can be. Nouveau doesn't have support for it's video codec stuff, radeonSI does. etc etc.

Again nothing against the Nouveau devs, but the people who think that Nouveau and Radeon are anywhere close to the same level at this point are delusional.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    ... unless something has changed, it's still something of a craps shoot to see if your card will work with nouveau...
                    stupid edit limit

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      Nouveau doesn't have support for it's video codec stuff, radeonSI does. etc etc.
                      I won't argue here, just wanted to tell you that Nouveau supports hardware video decoding: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/

I don't think this is a critical feature, but we do support it as good as nvidia does. Performance and efficiency are the main problems with Nouveau.

Comment

Working...
                      X