Trying Out Nouveau GPU Re-Clocking On Linux 3.16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
    It's probably better to make such tests on a laptop system (no fan, and as usual it's a good guess that some developers use laptops/thinkpads).
    Why do you mention ThinkPads as if they are totally different from laptops? Even if you were to say "laptops, specifically ThinkPads", I'm not sure why it's worth mentioning.

Comment

well, and there I was hoping that it would be immediately usable after activating

hope these kind of issues (graphics, garbled screen) can be sorted out rather quickly

anyways: great work and massive thanks to the devs - that it's at least in near reach now to be usable

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
        It's probably better to make such tests on a laptop system (no fan, and as usual it's a good guess that some developers use laptops/thinkpads).
        Yep. Sager NP7330 GFX 765m doesn't have it's own INDIVIDUAL fan, but it shares a connection with the CPU HS/fan via heatpipe.

The Sager NP8655(trying to remember model #, 15.6") w/GFX 780m has a separate HS/fan setup for the CPU and another for the GPU.

My old MSI GT725 w/4850 mobility had a shared setup like the 7330.

Pretty much any dGPU is going to have some kind of fan setup and NOT just rely on a heatsink. Mobile dGPUs run a bit warmer than their desktop counterparts, e.g. 780m is specwise, very similar to the GTX 670(which I have), not sure what the 765m corresponds to from the desktop... 660 or 650 maybe?(768 shaders) And the old 4850 was an oddity, same specs as the 4850 desktop variant(shader count) but w/lower core/mem clocks(the ONLY time that I can recall that current mobile GPUs had identical specs other than core/mem clocks as analogous desktop parts, didn't last long though, next iteration was back to the not quite matching similarly "named" desktop part).

Comment

So still no reclocking for the GTX 460... what a pain. The old performance_level interface worked fine. I hate it when they remove something that works to replace it with something that doesn't. I've been stuck at 50/135 MHz for several months, while I could set 675/1800 MHz without any problem until kernel 3.12 with "echo 3 > performance_level"

Comment

For that one solution is obvious

Originally posted by zequav View Post
            So still no reclocking for the GTX 460... what a pain. The old performance_level interface worked fine. I hate it when they remove something that works to replace it with something that doesn't. I've been stuck at 50/135 MHz for several months, while I could set 675/1800 MHz without any problem until kernel 3.12 with "echo 3 > performance_level"
            Install kernel 3.11 and use that for your normal work unless other changes gave a greater performance increase than the loss of reclocking cost you. Keep testing the new ones as they come out, looking for the new reclocking support. My netbook won't show the splash screen with kernel 3.15, so it is staying on 3.14 until either that gets fixed, a new kernel offers some other advantage like better video playback, or newer operating systems become incompatable with 3.14.

Comment

Working...
            X