Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    @Spittie:

youtube videos work for you ? if yes, up to e.g. 720p ? or is there major stuttering ? (not sure if nouveau video playback performance is comparable between a gtx 760 and gt 220)
    1080p working just fine here with flash, and 720p with html5 (1080p html5 probably work just as fine, but Firefox doesn't support dash so I can't test it).
    But I'm not sure if it's using hardware acceleration or just failing back to software, I have a somewhat beefy cpu (i7-860) so I usually just don't notice.

P.s. with KWin, I used to get tearing on the desktop until I configured Desktop effects > Advanced > Tearing prevention to "Full Scene Repaint". But I don't remember having tearing with videos before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
      1080p working just fine here with flash, and 720p with html5 (1080p html5 probably work just as fine, but Firefox doesn't support dash so I can't test it).
      But I'm not sure if it's using hardware acceleration or just failing back to software, I have a somewhat beefy cpu (i7-860) so I usually just don't notice.

P.s. with KWin, I used to get tearing on the desktop until I configured Desktop effects > Advanced > Tearing prevention to "Full Scene Repaint". But I don't remember having tearing with videos before that.
      oh - I got the same processor

things seem to work so far albeit the "zoom" & expos?-like functionality is a bit slow

1080p appears to play back flawlessly (chromium + flash, will try out firefox and webp, x264, etc. later)

the invert feature (very import for the workflow) also works fine

temperature stays at 40?C (vs. 39?C) so it *must* consume some more energy but it's not much (the Phantom has a large cooler body so will see the effects when it gets warmer again, currently outside it's only between 5-15?C compared to 15-19?C in the previous few days)

Comment

I suspect that compiz(-fusion) and/or chromium and its render process are causing the gpu to consume more energy ?!

under windows 8.1 it's more around the temperature of 37-39?C - whereas under linux (both nvidia binary blob or nouveau) lead to a temperature of constantly around 39-40?C [when running no intensive opengl or other demanding tasks]

the only issue during the transition from nvidia blob to nouveau was

that a modeline was needed in xorg.conf, and the maximal resolution allowed and/or possible was only 720x400 and others

e.g.

Code:
        gtf 1920 1080 60
        then adding that line to the "monitor" section

this probably won't be a concern for *buntu or OpenSuse users

but for those that use Gentoo, Arch Linux, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
          how is the "power management" (more precise: efficiency) of the GTX 760 with nouveau ?

is it showing similar temperatures and power consumption to the nvidia binary blob ?

if yes - it does have enough performance for e.g. compiz, video playback and gpu accelerated web-browsing via chromium or firefox ?

thanks
          Hi,

I've got a GTX 760 starting from September last year, and 3D and desktop effects worked out of the box on the first boot after a fresh Fedora 19 install, back then.
          I'm very happy with the performance, Nouveau did an awesome job! The only issue I had, was that games crashed when they tried to use AA, but after filing a bug report, they fixed it within a couple weeks.
          I did have some tearing issues, but they are also present in the binary blob.

The first time I started Xonotic (game) to test the performance, I couldn't believe that I was using Nouveau: 60-120fps at settings between High and Ultra, and no stuttering issues.
          And I was even more surprised when I viewed the temperature sensors:
          IDLE:
          GPU: 29-32 degrees Celcius
          CPU: 33 degrees Celcius
          MB: 28 degrees Celcius
          Room temp (not a sensor): 22 degrees Celcius
          While running XONOTIC:
          GPU: 33-34 degrees Celcius
          CPU: 46 degrees Celcius
          MB: 31 degrees Celcius
          Room temp (not a sensor): 22 degrees Celcius
          So... Pretty impressive for that performance, right?
          I must admit I use the Twin Frozr from MSI, but even then.

With the binary blob driver I get better performance (about 2x fps) in more demanding games like Flightgear, but I assume this is because the clock-speeds increase:
          GPU becomes ~46-56 degrees Celcius.
          But I uninstalled the blob because I'm happy enough with Nouveau's performance, and it saves me power!
          And as a rather surprising fact: with Nouveau, when running games in Wine, motion-blur is rendered correctly (e.g. Trackmania), and I don't need to set StrictDrawOrdering to get correct rendering results in COD4 so this saves performance.

Elias

Comment

Working...
          X