Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau NV50 Gallium3D Gains A Bit More Of GL 4.0

Phoronix: Nouveau NV50 Gallium3D Gains A Bit More Of GL 4.0

The open-source Radeon driver isn't the only Gallium3D driver gaining more OpenGL 4 support this week but the Nouveau "NV50" Gallium3D driver has also seen some needed love...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does Nvidia pay some of these developers as AMD does for their Radeon open source?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      Does Nvidia pay some of these developers as AMD does for their Radeon open source?
      If they do both Nvidia and the devs keep quiet about it. Nvidia's just barely started releasing any kind of docs or Q&A process
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        As far as I know, 2 devs are being paid. One by Canonical (so people claiming they are anti FOSS is not true at all) and one by Red Hat. There is also a PhD student working on it. But there are more people, I'm not entirely known with the nouveau team and her background.

Comment

Are there other GL4 extensions apart from tessellation shaders that cannot be supported on NV50?

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
            As far as I know, 2 devs are being paid. One by Canonical (so people claiming they are anti FOSS is not true at all) and one by Red Hat. There is also a PhD student working on it. But there are more people, I'm not entirely known with the nouveau team and her background.
            The PhD student would be me, but unfortunately, I barely work on nouveau during my "day job". Lately, I haven't been very productive either as I have been studying clock and power gating. As for Ilia, he is an hobbyist and is very active indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
              Are there other GL4 extensions apart from tessellation shaders that cannot be supported on NV50?
              The majority can't be supported on any nv50-family cards. Even these that just went in only work for nva3+ (GT21x). Looking at the 4.0 list, tesselation, sample shading, and gpu shader5 definitely aren't supportable (without software fallback, which would destroy performance). draw indirect -- I'm not 100% sure, but seems plausible (albeit useless without some of the other extensions). texture_query_lod should be doable on nva3+.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
                Lately, I haven't been very productive either as I have been studying clock and power gating. As for Ilia, he is an hobbyist and is very active indeed!
                I think that is the most important thing you could do on the project.

Comment

Working...
                X