Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Provides Open-Source Tegra K1 Support In Nouveau

Phoronix: NVIDIA Provides Open-Source Tegra K1 Support In Nouveau

For those questioning whether NVIDIA's open-source graphics merits of the past few months have been real, this weekend NVIDIA released the initial open-source hardware enablement code to support their forthcoming Tegra K1 SoC graphics within Nouveau!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, just to be clear

This lets software rendering run on their hardware, and provides ZERO support for any 2D or 3D acceleration.

Right?

That's fine, i suppose, but I don't remember people praising NVidia back when they provided the nv driver. In fact, back then people complained about how horrible it was.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      This lets software rendering run on their hardware, and provides ZERO support for any 2D or 3D acceleration.

Right?

That's fine, i suppose, but I don't remember people praising NVidia back when they provided the nv driver. In fact, back then people complained about how horrible it was.
      Exactly!
      The only thing that should be praised is that this is nvidia baby steps, and hope that eventually their management will really cooperate.
      So far it was only talk (including this patchset)

Comment

From the looks of it, they've enabled everything in the kernel required for an open-source stack to do acceleration, i.e. the nouveau DDX and nouveau gallium driver should have no trouble running on it. In theory. (I might also have missed something.)

Comment

Right?

What more can we expect from Larabel, he's probably looking to get more review hardware out of them by making much ado about nothing since Tegra chips aren't that popular and aren't available on anything but locked down phones and tablets making any OSS driver developments for Tegra a moot point.

Comment

i suppose nv was managed by them and released like android.
            this is just code pushed to the Nouveau guys, so it's there and can be modified or not be merged as the mantainer will see fit.

Comment

I think reason doing open source tegra driver for nvidia, is getting licensing kepler/maxwell gpus more attractive for other arm soc manufacturers.

Comment

I wonder why Michael left this part of the mail out:

Let me also stress that although very exciting, this effort is still
                experimental, so I would like to make sure that nobody makes excessive
                expectations based on these few patches. The scope of this work is strictly
                limited to Tegra (although given the similarities desktop GPU support will
                certainly benefit from it indirectly), and we do not have any plan to work on
                user-space support. So do not uninstall that proprietary driver just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                  I think reason doing open source tegra driver for nvidia, is getting licensing kepler/maxwell gpus more attractive for other arm soc manufacturers.
                  I don't think so, as those manufacturers never cared. Otherwise, PowerVR would have never had success, as most of ARM SoC oriented GPUs which are mostly proprietary.

As to the article in general, any cooperation is something. Far from ideal and far from what AMD and Intel do to support open source, but better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                    I wonder why Michael left this part of the mail out:

Let me also stress that although very exciting, this effort is still
                    experimental, so I would like to make sure that nobody makes excessive
                    expectations based on these few patches. The scope of this work is strictly
                    limited to Tegra (although given the similarities desktop GPU support will
                    certainly benefit from it indirectly), and we do not have any plan to work on
                    user-space support. So do not uninstall that proprietary driver just yet.
                    The wink at the end of the message was counter-intuitive, annoyed me.

Comment

Working...
                    X