Nouveau Gallium3D Now Supports OpenGL 3.2, 3.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by werfu View Post
    Couldn't tessalation be implented manually using an OpenCL kernel? That's what I was thinking of. It would be slower than having it hardware accelerated, but it could still be possible using software.
    You can emulate tesselation in the geometry shader. Dunno why you would want to..

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      Is there any major work missing? Or in other words: Could you give us a small briefup what's hindering this code from being mainlined?

Other than that I just hope the codes are ready soon. It's a little shame seeing that all others have it before r600g.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        You can emulate tesselation in the geometry shader. Dunno why you would want to..
        Why so serious, about tessalation? Yes, in the benchmarks (Unigine) looks good, but from games I have seen, with/without tessalation visual difference is not that great, but it is major FPS killer, and playing game the last thing I do is looking at the rocks on the road and say: "What a rocks, maaaan!"

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
          Is there any major work missing? Or in other words: Could you give us a small briefup what's hindering this code from being mainlined?

Other than that I just hope the codes are ready soon. It's a little shame seeing that all others have it before r600g.
          It has two main problems,

a) gpu hangs with one or two tests left to track down

b) doesn't work yet with r600g sb backend or llvm backends, the first is a stopper, the second I'm not sure I care enough about yet.

With these fixed and the code cleaned up a bit, it should be fine to merge.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
            Boy, I am really disappointed in YKW....
            How its possible to write an article and not mention the fact that in essence all NV50 class cards, have feature party with binary driver now....
            I don't think that is true. They may support the same gl version but I'd imagine nvidia's driver includes some extensions.
            Regardless you're right that it should've been mentioned if true.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
              a) gpu hangs with one or two tests left to track down
              Indeed, I launched Metro: Last Light and GPU hanged (without sb).

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Perhaps to allow some games that use tesselation shaders to run, albeit at a slower framerate considering the software fallbacks that are needed for supporting the extension that's unimplemented or poorly implemented in the hardware. That would be a crutch until the user upgrades the card to one that does implement the h/w necessary to support those GL4 extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  Perhaps to allow some games that use tesselation shaders to run, albeit at a slower framerate considering the software fallbacks that are needed for supporting the extension that's unimplemented or poorly implemented in the hardware. That would be a crutch until the user upgrades the card to one that does implement the h/w necessary to support those GL4 extensions.
                  Is there any game out there that actually requires tessellation shaders though? I think Crysis is the one example people come up with, and it's very definitely an optional feature that could be turned off if your card doesn't support it. Better to just turn it off than have one section of the game run like molasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
                    Boy, I am really disappointed in YKW....
                    How its possible to write an article and not mention the fact that in essence all NV50 class cards, have feature party with binary driver now....
                    Because feature parity requires CUDA, OpenCL and video decode acceleration hardware support. OpenCL only covers the 3d side.

Comment

Dammit Ilia Mirkin and Bryan Cain, where's that reclocking support you lazy bums! Just kidding, nice work.

Comment

Working...
                      X