X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rexilion
    replied
    Originally posted by imirkin View Post
    Actually, no. Those aren't the commits to the userspace driver, that's just a standalone nouveau repo [which can be used in userspace, but I wouldn't call it a userspace driver]. However information for these commits _was_ taken from the pre-KMS nouveau, which supported all of these hw overlays for xvideo. This support was lost in the KMS transition, and I reinstated it. (No clean commit links, but go diving into the history of nv10_xv_ovl.c and nv04_xv_ovl.c in xf86-video-nouveau if you're interested.)
    I was in the assumption that was the userspace driver. Since it's patches won't apply to the upstream kernel driver without changing it's paths. Furthermore, I heard darktama mentioning a userspace driver on IRC quite a while ago. (just before or after the huge drm rewrite)

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
    The overlay support goes up through and including nv40. Apparently nv41+ also have some sort of overlay, but it has not been RE'd.
    Good thing those cards have so much in common. Too bad it's not mentioned in the article. My nv34 will benefit from this.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• imirkin
    replied
    Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
    Commit here and here in the userspace driver.
    Actually, no. Those aren't the commits to the userspace driver, that's just a standalone nouveau repo [which can be used in userspace, but I wouldn't call it a userspace driver]. However information for these commits _was_ taken from the pre-KMS nouveau, which supported all of these hw overlays for xvideo. This support was lost in the KMS transition, and I reinstated it. (No clean commit links, but go diving into the history of nv10_xv_ovl.c and nv04_xv_ovl.c in xf86-video-nouveau if you're interested.)

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
    Please, the fact that it's nv10 and nv04 does not always imply it's for Riva TNT and TNT2. This could go all the way up to but not including nv50. Don't know about this case though.
    The overlay support goes up through and including nv40. Apparently nv41+ also have some sort of overlay, but it has not been RE'd.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    The nouveau devs have said many times already that documentation isn't even that big of a problem. Manpower is.
    How can missing documentation can't be a big problem?
    You lose so much time reverse engineering that it doesn't matter how much manpower you have, in my opinion.

I think they should stop being assholes and release it, or they care too much about their backdoors and want them to be available on Linux too.

Leave a comment:

• Spittie
    replied
    Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
    As I was saying above, you can't unless you patch your kernel. See here:
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71994
    Thanks, totally missed your point.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Fuck you Nvidia. Release the damn documentation. Nobody ask you to do an open-source driver or to contribute to it like Intel does, but at least release the documentation.
    The nouveau devs have said many times already that documentation isn't even that big of a problem. Manpower is.

Leave a comment:

• AnAkIn
    replied
    Originally posted by Spittie View Post
    Anyone knows how one could manually reclock under Nouveau?
    "/sys/class/drm/card0/device/performance_level" doesn't exist anymore on recent kernels.

Anyway thanks you Nouveau team! I just tried the daily ubuntu iso on my gt220 (3.13 + mesa 10.1), and beside reclocking everything else seems to work wonderfully.
    As I was saying above, you can't unless you patch your kernel. See here:

Leave a comment:

• Spittie
    replied
    Anyone knows how one could manually reclock under Nouveau?
    "/sys/class/drm/card0/device/performance_level" doesn't exist anymore on recent kernels.

Anyway thanks you Nouveau team! I just tried the daily ubuntu iso on my gt220 (3.13 + mesa 10.1), and beside reclocking everything else seems to work wonderfully.

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Fuck you Nvidia. Release the damn documentation. Nobody ask you to do an open-source driver or to contribute to it like Intel does, but at least release the documentation.
    Nobody forces you to purchase an nVidia card for graphics processing.

Leave a comment:

• AnAkIn
    replied
    For older NVIDIA GeForce GPUs is experimental re-clocking / power management support that's disabled by default and not always reliable
    That's not really true any more since Linux 3.13 changes AFAIK. I have a 8800 GT and it is no longer possible to re-clock the card, the command line arguments have been removed (nouveau.perflvl, etc) and it is now similar to Fermi/Kepler cards, you can't change the performance level unless you apply this commit:

Last time I tried it (early Linux 3.13) to change the performance level, it just hung my computer.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X