Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Nouveau for a 1300 USD graphics card?
    That is what I was going to say... If you want open source do yourself a favor and grab a Intel APU, You will get better performance out of it vs a high end Nvidia card running nouveau...

I guess it will make for a pleasant experience when navigating the Nvidia Unix Portal page and downloading the latest drivers on a fresh install.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      Who needs this project anyway? Same as AMD open source drivers?

Both project will never be in good shape when needed most, compared to binary and EVERYONE and their dog know it.
      AMD made clear, they won't care for performance of OSS drivers.
      Nvidia doesn't even release documentation.

Anyone who is paranoid enough would have Intel by now.
      Why even bother?

Sounds like trolling, i know, but i want to know.
      Radeon with kernel 3.11 will be perfect for everything up to RadeonSI, they already match / get close to the performance of the closed source driver in a lot of cases, have UVD support, HDMI audio support, 3.11 brings Dynamic Power Management. The only thing missing is CrossFire. Radeon also supports the newest kernels and X-servers automatically, Catalyst lags behind by MONTHS supporting those.

Intel is intel.. its the only game in town so thats it.

Nouveau is screwed, sorry, but its true. I'm not sure how they are ever going to keep up with Nvidia or even get close enough to really make a big dent... combine that with the fact that Nvidia releases new drivers that support the newest kernels and X-servers sometimes before said kernels and X servers are even released, you can't even use that as a reason.

Radeon matters and has a use.
      Intel definitely matters.
      Nouveau, I respect them for trying and DO wish them the best of luck, but I just don't see how they are gonna pull it off...
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        Both project will never be in good shape when needed most, compared to binary and EVERYONE and their dog know it.
        AMD made clear, they won't care for performance of OSS drivers.
        You haven't been following the radeon driver recently, have you?

They already match the blob performance on some workloads, and are not too far behind on most of them.

Comment

If Nouveau didn't exist

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Nouveau is screwed, sorry, but its true. I'm not sure how they are ever going to keep up with Nvidia or even get close enough to really make a big dent... combine that with the fact that Nvidia releases new drivers that support the newest kernels and X-servers sometimes before said kernels and X servers are even released, you can't even use that as a reason.

Nouveau, I respect them for trying and DO wish them the best of luck, but I just don't see how they are gonna pull it off...
          If Nouveau didn't exist, any distro using Gnome-shell, Unity, or Cinnamon would not open the desktop or open it in LLVMpipe on any computer with an Nividia card. I still remember Red Hat saying they could not make GNOME 3 the default on Fedora until Nouveau was able to open it on most machines that came with Nvidia cards.

Nouveau is a hell of a lot faster than LLVMpipe. Not to rag on LLVMpipe either: if they didn't exist one mistake that fucks up your regular driver (say while you install that closed driver) and you would have to have a backup DE installed just to use X! If that happened with no wired internet access, on a new install, most users would get chicken and egg, needing X to connect to the network and the network to download a DE that would work and let them run X.

Radeon, BTW, is good enough for my HD6750 to beat any graphics Intel makes. The only thing Nouveau needs to do the same is to figure out the reclocking issue, based on some tests comparing to AMD Evergreen set to the "mid" old-style power profile for similar clocks.Not only that, for what Intel costs I can have bulldozer and an HD6750, and get them from a manufacturer not as deeply embedded in the whole "Wintel" monopoly scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Pull what off ? Don't you read phoronix ? Nouveau wipes the floor with Southern Islands on a GPU that has been released even later and runs at 1/10th its maximum clock speed: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SO-KEPLERSOU42

Comment

Originally posted by calim View Post
              Pull what off ? Don't you read phoronix ? Nouveau wipes the floor with Southern Islands on a GPU that has been released even later and runs at 1/10th its maximum clock speed: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SO-KEPLERSOU42
              SI is running at 1/10th it's clock speed too, and the next kernel out is actually going to fix that. There doesn't seem to be much progress on the nouveau side, or at least not publicly.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                SI is running at 1/10th it's clock speed too, and the next kernel out is actually going to fix that. There doesn't seem to be much progress on the nouveau side, or at least not publicly.
                Don't spoil my flicker of hope. Nouveau is also running at 1/10th the manpower. Which is probably why he's right, we might not be able to pull it off ... who knows.

Comment

If building for open drivers use older hardware

Originally posted by calim View Post
                  As the open drivers have not had time to mature. Usually the closed drivers dump support for older hardware, the open source drivers take time to be optimized for newly released hardware. With AMD, for instance, only HD5000 and HD6000 series Radeons are sumultaniously supported well on both open and closed drivers, for instance.

If you build a machine from the start to get high graphics performance with open drivers, your options are Intel or AMD, and AMD offers far more powerful cards than what Intel puts in any APU. The Geforce 9800+ also reclocks and runs very well with Nouveau, but is a power hog for the amount of performance offered.

OK, you buy a new card for maximum performance, with the intent of running the closed driver. You probably buy Nvidia due to the quality of their closed driver. When that driver dumps support for your card, do you want to have to buy a new card, or would you rather be able to switch to Nouveau and have Nouveau have caught up by that time. By the time AMD's catalyst dumps Evergreen and Northern Islands, I suspect Radeon will be so close it won't matter. If you think Nouveau won't be able to do the same, better buy a Radeon 8000 series, run Catalyst now, and know that Radeon will be ready when Catalyst dumps it. The net effect of both drivers existing is Linux support from day of release until the card dies from electromigration.

Five years down the road, Titan will be an old card that the binary blob supports only in a legacy version, but hopefully with excellent Nouveau support. So will the whole series of Fermi and Kepler cards-and all those laptops with hard to change out mobile versions of them. Unless we want to throw away perfectly good hardware in an age where locked bootloaders and walled gardens threaten, we had damned well better support the development of open source drivers whose lifespans are measured in decades, not years. How few years of Catalyst support did the Radeon HD4000's and all those boards with them as embedded graphics get?

Comment

Working...
                  X