Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source NVIDIA Tegra Becoming More Exciting

Phoronix: Open-Source NVIDIA Tegra Becoming More Exciting

Now that I'm back in the United States, I'm beginning to upload the Phoronix recordings of the X.Org development talks that happened this past weekend in Brussels at FOSDEM 2013. Here's the video of the NVIDIA Open Tegra talk that covers the ongoing work for creating an open-source graphics driver for NVIDIA's increasingly popular ARM SoCs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could someone give lazy people who don't want to watch a 24 minute video(me), the gist of it?

Comment

This is a very interesting development. I expect that some time in the future tegra's GPU will catch up to the desktop archtecture, so in a way, they are also paving the way to open source geforce drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
        This is a very interesting development. I expect that some time in the future tegra's GPU will catch up to the desktop archtecture, so in a way, they are also paving the way to open source geforce drivers.
        They don't even use unified shaders yet, and have two orders of magnitude less shader cores. Don't hold your breath. Mobile and desktop GPUs are very different beasts. Will be for many years at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
          Their desktop nv drivers were thrown away as worthless crap. Their tegra driver's aren't any better.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
            They don't even use unified shaders yet, and have two orders of magnitude less shader cores. Don't hold your breath. Mobile and desktop GPUs are very different beasts. Will be for many years at least.
            So, it looks like not that many years afterall.

If tegra 5 has kepler graphics, either android drivers will be able to support desktop GPUs very easily (good news for Mir), which seems more likely, or forceware or whatever their geforce driver is called will support tegras, android (and, therefore, mir). So, in any way, it seems only AMD is left out at this time.

Interesting times ahead indeed.

Comment

Working...
            X