NVIDIA GeForce 600 "Kepler" On Open-Source: It's Uselessly Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    At least X.org should be made stable in order for AMD and Nvidia not to get pissed off. See they are already doing us a favor by releasing the drivers. They could very much not given a fuck since linux doesn't exist on desktop. Let's not piss them off, since it would hurt us more than it would hurt them.
    I have a piece of news for you:

Nvidia and AMD do not make desktop drivers, they make workstation drivers. They really care about that market. And that market uses stable distros which don't change often.

Comment

Originally posted by ashjas View Post
      hello... is this benchmark done using the bumblebee project.. as nvdia GT 600 series drivers arent used natively on linux?

Thanks.
      No bumblebee. The benchmark was on a workstation using the nvidia and nouveau drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        At least X.org should be made stable in order for AMD and Nvidia not to get pissed off. See they are already doing us a favor by releasing the drivers. They could very much not given a fuck since linux doesn't exist on desktop. Let's not piss them off, since it would hurt us more than it would hurt them. Oh, and I would very much like to see those reasons. Hopefully they don't involve the devs are lazy and really don't plan ahead.
        AMD and Nvidia are doing no one any favors. They create Linux drivers so they can make money from their customers. (The professional ones, that pay the big bucks). It's kind of what businesses do.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          No bumblebee. The benchmark was on a workstation using the nvidia and nouveau drivers.
          but as far as i know .. the nvdia proprietary drivers dont work on linux and for that only the bumblebee project is there...

is this a comparison b/w linux with nouveau drivers and a windows with nvdia drivers? or on linux only...

if my information is incorrect regarding bumblebee project.. please correct me..

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ashjas View Post
            but as far as i know .. the nvdia proprietary drivers dont work on linux and for that only the bumblebee project is there...

is this a comparison b/w linux with nouveau drivers and a windows with nvdia drivers? or on linux only...
            Bumblebee is for dual-GPU configuration, usually with one main Intel GPU for regular use and an additional Nvidia GPU which is only used when you need extra power. The secondary GPU uses the primary GPU for display, so the two drivers must communicate. Bumblebee is for switching between the two GPUs.

For the normal configuration -- one card only -- you don't need bumblebee, just an Nvidia driver. Either nouveau or the blob.

Comment

Working...
            X