Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calinou
    replied
    Depends what you want to do, but if you want to play games with nouveau I advise getting a 9800GTX (which works well with nouveau, see the recent benchmark)... Using a OSS driver on a recent GPU is almost never worth it.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    Nouveau still sucks on newer GPUs, so you'll have to use the NVIDIA driver... then it becomes irrelevant to this news. 8)
    No, if KMS and displaying things on screen works, it means that it's already as good as Poulsbo drivers at this point. Which is usable. I'd also imagine that Nouveau is more stable even at this point, compared to the blob.

Leave a comment:

• Calinou
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Glad to hear that. I'm looking at a 660 myself. Will wait until there are UE4 games out, but so far they seem to be a pretty good deal overall.
    Nouveau still sucks on newer GPUs, so you'll have to use the NVIDIA driver... then it becomes irrelevant to this news. 8)

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Glad to hear that. I'm looking at a 660 myself. Will wait until there are UE4 games out, but so far they seem to be a pretty good deal overall.

Leave a comment:

• wargames
    replied
    Nou what ?

As if someone was going to buy a $200+ graphics card and not be able to use it properly...

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Nouveau Lights Up The GK106 Kepler

Nouveau Lights Up The GK106 Kepler

Phoronix: Nouveau Lights Up The GK106 Kepler

Red Hat's Ben Skeggs pushed out new code this morning into the Nouveau DRM driver repository. In addition to some video BIOS work and other changes, initial support for the NVIDIA GK106 GPU was pushed into this reverse-engineered open-source driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X