Bickering Continues About NVIDIA Using DMA-BUF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GT220 View Post
    Face it, you know what I said is true, you GPL Nazis are killing Linux. Give yourselves a huge applause.

You should also stop using your LCD monitors you know, the on screen display(OSD) runs proprietary software, it's clearly not respecting your rights. Ditto with LCD TVs, microwave ovens etc.

Your motherboards runs proprietary BIOS/UEFI too, please don't use them, they don't respect your rights either.

Don't even think about going to hospitals either, all the medical equipment there runs proprietary software and don't respect your rights.

It's pretty amazing how much hypocrisy there is in the GPL Nazis here, they use proprietary software every day without throwing a huge fuss about it and yet act like they're privileged for anything.
    Whilst 5 pages late ...

One step at the time little man, one step at a time. There's only so many things we can code for and fight against. Proprietary bios? coreboot. Proprietary microwave? Linux in a few years. Proprietary OSD ... give it time. Also that hurdle will be tackled in time. Sometimes you have to forfeit a battle, to win the war.

Comment

• Originally posted by oliver View Post
      Whilst 5 pages late ...

One step at the time little man, one step at a time. There's only so many things we can code for and fight against. Proprietary bios? coreboot. Proprietary microwave? Linux in a few years. Proprietary OSD ... give it time. Also that hurdle will be tackled in time. Sometimes you have to forfeit a battle, to win the war.
      ahh don't throw logic at this rubber brained consumer... he's either been paid by nvidia to try and whip up some sort of support for nvidias position or more likely he's just a moron

Comment

• Why can't we all get along. There are reasons to keep some tech private and if you insist on "all or nothing" approach you are more likely to get nothing.

Too rigid licensing limitations can be overcome if there's a will and mutual understanding of conflicting interests.

Comment

• Originally posted by asdx
          Come on guys, quit your bitching already, NVIDIA WONT USE DMA-BUF.

It's the GPL way or it's the highway.

Plain and simple.

And if you disagree: Go blame yourself for being too stupid to buy Nvidia/Optimus garbage.
          How about ditching Linux and using Windows instead?
          I'm not going to buy a new laptop because Nvidia doesn't support Linux. I stopped using Linux because it doesn't support my Nvidia card. It's much simpler.
          And you call someone who use Nvidia/Optimus "garbage" stupid because Nvidia doesn't release specs?
          Nvidia has much better driver than AMD, both on Linux and Windows.
          Last edited by namkha; 19 October 2012, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCL_ View Post
            Why can't we all get along.
            This is a philosophical/religious war. They never end well.

Comment

• This is my problem as well. At the moment I enjoy having the best of both worlds - a nice (and cheap!) alternative OS where all (well, most) my hardware is supported at roughly the same level as it is on Windows. I can use Linux to develop whatever I want, and these days I'm interested in GPGPU, which is the next (well, current) big thing.

With NVidia dropping support for Linux everything will change. OSS drivers are several years behind OpenGL-wise, while GPGPU support is only starting to appear (and is limited to OpenCL) - I guess that will take hobbyists few more years to catch up with *present* functionality in proprietary drivers.

So without proper hardware support I'll have to end my adventure with Linux, and it makes me sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by asdx
                I'm hoping for that they will discontinue the blob, they'll make the nouveau project a big favour if they do that.
                Maybe. However AMD hardware has had open documentation for years and their OSS drivers are still behind proprietary ones, let alone AMD Windows drivers, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Comment

With NVidia dropping support for Linux everything will change.
                  And why would they do that, exactly? Those servers are not moving anywhere.

Comment

This is my problem as well. At the moment I enjoy having the best of both worlds - a nice (and cheap!) alternative OS where all (well, most) my hardware is supported at roughly the same level as it is on Windows. I can use Linux to develop whatever I want, and these days I'm interested in GPGPU, which is the next (well, current) big thing.

With NVidia dropping support for Linux everything will change. OSS drivers are several years behind OpenGL-wise, while GPGPU support is only starting to appear (and is limited to OpenCL) - I guess that will take hobbyists few more years to catch up with *present* functionality in proprietary drivers.

So without proper hardware support I'll have to end my adventure with Linux, and it makes me sad.
                    Just use the CLI.

If you're doing anything beyond that, you're using Linux wrong according to these people.

(* ok, that's my final troll for the thread)

Comment

What on earth makes you think NVidia will 'drop support' for Linux?

Looking at this thread there are those who obviously have no interest in using Linux and are only trolling here out of some fear that Linux will continue to gain traction which is something they must find threatening for some reason, guys like johnc, yogi_berra, GT220 and most recently, joe_gunner, I'm sure I'm missing some.

Then there are those who are using Linux with NVidia's proprietary driver and who are under the delusion that NVidia is providing that proprietary driver in order to be nice to Linux desktop users, and are afraid that if the kernel devs won't cut NVidia some special deals then NVidia might withdraw their Linux proprietary driver support!

This is pure nonsense, as long as desktop users stick to NVidia GPU's which are used in the HPC/3D/SFX fields then they are golden as far as support goes (well, until NVidia decides that card X is no longer used in the aforementioned fields, but in truth they do support cards for a long time so it should not be a big problem). However if you are buying NVidia technology aimed at the end user laptops like optimus then that is another thing entirely since that's not where the NVidia GPU Linux customers reside.

If the GPU market on Linux was that of the end user desktop then you would never have had any driver support from NVidia, if you want to thank anyone for being able to run NVidia proprietary drivers on your Linux desktop then it should be directed at those companies in the aforementioned HPC/3D/SFX field who said that 'we are moving our production pipelines/computing clusters to Linux, if you want to sell us GPU's then supply Linux drivers', NVidia did not start supporting Linux because they think Linux is great, they started supporting Linux because companies they want to sell GPU's to think Linux is great.

Comment

Working...
                      X