No announcement yet.

Bickering Continues About NVIDIA Using DMA-BUF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They can use the entire MESA, Intel's work and LLVM with a proper and full back-end, and create very easy, an Open Driver with 70-90% the performance of the Closed one. Then they can use the latest OGL4 work as a Closed Extension Driver for the Open one. When we say Extension Driver we mean only Shader Compilers, FX and Programs for the Rasterizer(synthesizer), not any Driver Functionality like memory management, that should be Open.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
      No, people will probably not start jumping to nouveau. And if they do, many will have serious issues and won't care much about whether it's open or not when they just out of it, or from Linux in general. This won't help opensource in anyway, maybe hurt it though.
      People who don't care about open source are going to use more closed source?

Well, I wonder in how far losing these people will hurt open source.

And NVIDIA will NOT opensource their driver. Heck, even if their management wanted to, they couldn't.
      The world doesn't spin around NVidia. Neither does Linux.

Originally posted by log0 View Post
      Linux Kernel is GPL2 period. Don't like open source? Go somewhere else.
      Word.

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
        People who don't care about open source are going to use more closed source?

Well, I wonder in how far losing these people will hurt open source.

The world doesn't spin around NVidia. Neither does Linux.

Word.
        More users alone can help open source. It gives more power and influence on let's say .. NVIDIA.
        No users means your demands will go on deaf ears. And it's natural .. -.-
        Not nice, but natural.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
          Alan Cox is an asshole.

I have an Optimus laptop and as things stand, I will never get the expected performance out of my GT 555M on Linux.

Nouveau's use of dma-buf is not a solution. It works, but it's as slow as using the Intel GPU. Plus, the power management puts my card in an unusable state when I want to reboot into Windows.

I SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE THE NVIDIA BLOB AND DMA-BUF AS I SEE FIT FOR MY OWN PERSONAL NEEDS.
          Guess next time you will not buy something that is made by a company who has such horrible support, I always buy intel for the simple fact that I know it will work... I have no complaints graphically...my dual core celeron Sandy Bridge can play xonotic at mostly high settings....

Alan Cox wrote some code, and he is deciding what happens to it, I guess you can always spend your time developing your alternative to this problem instead of making pointless insults of someone who has done great work for many people...

More users alone can help open source. It gives more power and influence on let's say .. NVIDIA.
          Not nice, but natural.
          It won't influence nvidia at all to change their ways if everyone just lets them have their way, because they won't contribute anything to open source, instead we can help open source more by telling people to use better supported open source drivers/hardware. If we have many people ditching nvidia for intel or amd, maybe nvidia will realize that usability is also as important as power. Just an opinion...
          Last edited by dm-xterm; 18 October 2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Not nice, but natural.
            Yeah, I can see how a bigger amount of Linux users using NVidia blobs will make NVidia to go open.

Or to be more general: More people not caring about open source and using proprietary software will do more good to open source than actually having and keeping things open?

Comment

Are Nvidia being spoiled brats again? Whats new.

Comment

You really don't get it. Want to use open source? Respect the fscking license at least! No need to call others names. Believe it or not but linux still would be doing well even if nvidia ceased to exist tomorrow.

Btw nvidia are already violating linux kernel license, no matter if this symbols are changed or not. And they should really let their lawyers handle this and not the devs.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
                  Alan Cox is an asshole.

I have an Optimus laptop and as things stand, I will never get the expected performance out of my GT 555M on Linux.

Nouveau's use of dma-buf is not a solution. It works, but it's as slow as using the Intel GPU. Plus, the power management puts my card in an unusable state when I want to reboot into Windows.

I SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE THE NVIDIA BLOB AND DMA-BUF AS I SEE FIT FOR MY OWN PERSONAL NEEDS.
                  YOU bought an Optimus laptop.
                  YOU are an asshole.

Comment

A question - is it possible to make this available via syscalls?

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
                      YOU bought an Optimus laptop.
                      YOU are an asshole.
                      I just made an account because his comment was pointless, I was hoping I wouldn't be the only one to notice his problems were all his fault... "lets buy an expensive piece of equipment without confirming everything will work how I want, then blame someone else"...

Comment

Working...
                      X